• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my Skoak Carminas from FedEx today. My brother was the one at home who received the shoes. He said there was no customs fee. Is FedEx known to charge fees later? I have received customs fees from DHL one to two months later. Does FedEx do that?

Yes, FedEx will do that.

doodledoc

Reaction score
Yes, FedEx will do that.

Interesting. I just did some research (5 minutes) and I got this from the FedEx website:

How do I pay for duties and taxes if I do not have a FedEx account?
If you, as the recipient, are the designated party for payment of duties and taxes and do not have a valid FedEx account number, or a FedEx account in good credit or standing, then payment will be collected by the FedEx courier at the time of delivery, in addition to a Reimbursement on Delivery (ROD) fee (see below). If the shipper or a third party is responsible for payment of duties and taxes and does not have a valid FedEx account number, or a FedEx account in good credit or standing, then the shipment will be held at the destination FedEx station until payment arrangements are made, or the FedEx Credit department has authorized release of the shipment.
NOTE: You can avoid having your shipment held for payment of duties and taxes by opening a FedEx account with a credit card.

I believe I am the recipient, I do not have a valid FedEx account number or a FedEx account in good credit or standing, and payment was not collected by the FedEx courier at the time of delivery. I'll argue this if I do get a bill.

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/international/import/index.html?tab=tab2

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i got hit with a fedex bill once for 30% of the value of a pair of shoes (not from skoak). i said **** that ****, im not paying. ignored first notice, ignored second notice, got hit with a late penalty, ignored that notice (duh). finally got a call from their collection agency threatening to report me. paid in 60 seconds

turned out to be the most expensive shoe i never wore (had to return it)

Last edited:

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so FedEx duties are 30 percent of the total cost?

My incoming EGs are going to hurt for sure.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does it have to be so hard to find a decent pair of shoes in the US?

Nobody understands our pain, well, because nobody really cares. This is an ultra-niche market which 99.8% of Americans know nothing about. Not a single person I know would know what Carmina, Enzo Bonafe, Edward Green, or even John Lobb was if I mentioned it to them. Most of them don't even know what Allen Edmonds is. American's idea of great shoes is a suede driving loafer from Ferragamo with a giant shiny horseshoe shaped bit on top.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score

If you live in canada. Yeah from what i heard.
US apparently is 9% plus a "fedex handling fee".

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you live in canada. Yeah from what i heard.
US apparently is 9% plus a "fedex handling fee".

this. the shoemaker i purchased from incorrectly filled out the form so the burden fell squarely on me. even more reason to buy from skoak. professional and accurate from a - z

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i got hit with a fedex bill once for 30% of the value of a pair of shoes (not from skoak). i said **** that ****, im not paying. ignored first notice, ignored second notice, got hit with a late penalty, ignored that notice (duh). finally got a call from their collection agency threatening to report me. paid in 60 seconds

turned out to be the most expensive shoe i never wore (had to return it)

@NAMOR I feel you pain man. I had a similar experience although I did not pay 30% of duties. Was not this famous Meermin fiasco?

Anyways, This new policy stinks if you have to return the shoes since you are going to have to eat the cost of duties.

Last edited:

Tallcane

Reaction score
If anyone with F width needs is interested, we are trying to start a G&G F width GMTO with the following specs:

G&G St. James II
Color :Vintage OAK
Width : F
Last MH71
Sole : Single leather sole with dark sole edge
Metal Toe Tips

Patrik is looking into whether the toe tips are required on all of the orders or whether they can be ordered in a one off fashion.

So far we have two confirmed interest.

doodledoc

Reaction score

They're beautiful! I'm going to wear them to my interview tomorrow. Even if the interview goes poorly, I'll know my feet look good.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G&G Monaco\Holkham GMTO

G&G Monaco\Holkham:
Color :Vintage OAK
Width :E
Last KN14
Sole : Single leather sole with dark sole edge

Interested parties:

E Width

@andrel42 Preference None E
@grc1 E
@lightseason Preference None E
@jamestct E
@dddrees Preference Holkham E - Awaiting to hear if G&G will allow mismatched sizing (Length) as part of GMTO
@TtownMD E - interested but not confirmed. Checking on sizing

G Width

@JubeiSpiegel Preference Holkham G

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before this idea gets buried, some inspiration:

The GG06 would probably look way better than my crappy PhotoShop-Fu mock-up...
these look killer! would also be cool in the rustic county calf like the Thorpe is looking for a lighter colored chukka.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads