1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Senior member

Is it possible to resole just half with a leather sole? Or are you referring to having topy or similar rubber on top of the leather sole?

I received my black cap-toe GMTO's a few weeks ago (I was part of the December group). Very interested to learn more about the waist construction as others have mentioned. I'm mainly curious about how I address resoling these when the time comes. I'm very happy with my first Skoak and EB purchase thus far. I did fine one small imperfection in the leather, but its a pretty discreet place so I'm not too worried about it. As others have mentioned, once I was notified of shipping, the package was deliver just a few days afterwards, quicker than many other US based retailers!

Gabriel was very helpful with the advice on sizing for my slightly wider feet. It fits well enough as its rather difficult for me to find shoes that fit like a glove. Here's a teaser shot of mine.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Faster

Faster Senior member

Why can't you use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees?

3. insy

insy Senior member

Well, I don't really think that kind of credit card exists at all. I mean unless you are spending a milly every month with your credit card I doubt a bank will just give away their exchange rates for free?!

What you usually do to avoid such exchange rates is having a credit card for each currency. Which would mean EUR, USD and potentially GBP. Because those are most common currencies I suppose.

I wouldn't mind paying the exchange rate if I knew exactly that the shoes fit and I don't have to return them. Unfortunately, what happened when I had to return CS Boots, my bank actually charged me twice. First when I paid and secondly when Skoat refund me. Oh and once when the order was canceled because the skoat security system thought the order was a froud :D

4. doorsncolours

doorsncolours Member

There are a few cards with no forex fees that are very attainable in Canada at least. Rogers has one.

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

You still pay the current exchange rate, the CC company just doesn't charge you a fee on top of it. Many cards out there offer it.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  6. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Yes with a standard resole at a cobbler you only cut of the sole part that's been worn down, exchange that and do new sole stitches in that area, plus exchange the heel top piece. Here's a pic of a shoe which been fixed at a local cobbler here in Sweden, with a closed channel, you can see the edge of the new sole part in the front of the waist:

[​IMG]

Off topic I know, but it's always nice to see the difference with a before pic (please note this pair wasn't mine, I take care of my shoes, I just did a blog post covering the job):
    [​IMG]

It's a different thing when you ship your shoes back to the factory for a resole, they exchange the whole sole (of course cobblers can do full resoles etc as well, if needed) and much more, IMO they often do too much (for example they often change the welt, which means they redo the Goodyear stitching and even if they try to match the existing holes it often get new ones and you do unnecessary holes in the upper leather), but it's easier for them to do it like that.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Have you tried transferwise? They are efficient, and much cheaper than PayPal or credit card.

8. toblov

toblov Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  9. Skoaktiebolaget

Skoaktiebolaget Senior member Affiliate Vendor

REGARDING BONAFÈ SOLES AND CONSTRUCTION:
    We have now received some feedback from Bonafè regarding their soles and construction and below is the information about the difference about what they call Japanese construction internally and the bombè waist. I will quote their description of the differences.

Goodyear 2C: This construction is composed by two different moments: 1. after the shoe is lasted, we have the hand welting in the front part of the shoe; 2. then the outer sole is applied and stitched by Blake machine in the waists. The result of this construction is that you will have the thickness and the width of a standard single leather sole in the front part of the shoe but very narrow and round waists. A perfect choice for a very elegant shoe.
    Bombè waist: The main difference with full hand welted (270 degrees welt) construction with this bombè waists is that the shoe is completely hand welted, and therefore the waists are the same thickness for the front part and waist. Bombè means that the sole edges near the waist are rounded and that can be done for both sides or only one side, depending on the customer's preferred choice.

Please let us know if any further questions comes up.
    Gabriel

2 people like this.
  10. blueboy1967

blueboy1967 Member

[​IMG]

Hi All - my first post:

I ordered the Carlos Santos Suede Loafer from Skoak on Friday and they were delivered to me in Singapore on Wednesday. This was after an email exchange focused on fitting advice as I wasn't sure whether I should purchase a UK10 or a UK9.5 as I have other shoes in both sizes. I am very impressed with the service, the advice (I went for 9.5 and it was the correct decision) and the shoes themselves. I bought the lightweight shoe trees and some cleaning materials and everything was perfect and nicely packaged on arrival.

To be honest, whilst I was hopeful, my expectations for the shoes weren't too high given that they are at the lower end of the pricing range. Although I have only owned them (and worn them) for one day and time will tell, they are much better quality than I had hoped for. The material is attractive and the work is good. The loafers will be a great summer wardrobe addition and will work nicely with chinos, denim and shorts alike. Given the pricing, I am not going to be too precious about them!

I am attaching a picture I have taken using my phone in full daylight to help anyone that wants to see the colour.

Not sure if it will help but I own a pair of G&G St. James II in 9.5 and C&J Teign also in 9.5 but buy sports shoes in 10 and have Timberland Boots in 10.5. All fit well.

4 people like this.
  11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sounds fine to me. I think some of us (me) read the word "glue" and freaked out prematurely.

Thanks for getting this clarification for us.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Late to kudu party. But Glenco Oak Kudu. Thank you for wonderful service Skoaktiebolag :slayer:

14 people like this.
  13. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

2 people like this.
  14. heelguy

heelguy Senior member

Just broke down and ordered the GG Balfour wholecuts in Vintage Cherry.

5 people like this.
  15. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Fixed it for you. You're welcome. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  16. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

FTFY x 2

17. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Have been wearing GGs all week. Probably the most comfortable shoes I know of. Doesn't hurt they are sweet on the eye too!

18. heelguy

heelguy Senior member

Well done GRC.

19. heelguy

heelguy Senior member

could not have said it any better myself.

20. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Tärnsjö Garveri Weekender in Natural/Nougat

Pure sex.