• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, I guess I didn't think my question would spark so much debate. Thanks to all who chimed in. I've never reached the EG / GG price threshold, but have been considering it lately. I have too many dress shoes that I don't wear from "lower-tier" manufacturers. I've been considering selling off several bals and replacing them with one pair of really top-quality dress shoes, since I'm in a suit once a week at the most.

Well, we do love our shoes and are passionate about it. In all honesty, to put it back in perspective, there is no "REAL" difference between the two. To go back to your question, yes they are both highly comparable and you would be happy with either. Fit and design matter the most when choosing between the brands. You might not like the look of GG shoes then there's no real reason to compare. However, if you wanted a strict comparison of the two, GG is better lately in terms of quality, timeliness, and finish. The big issues some members such as myself and rydenfan had may be isolated but you deserve to be aware of them. Not to say you will be getting an AE shoes but it's just that there's a little bit more attention to detail, a couple months faster delivery, and that can make all the difference to some people. I mean, Bauxite and Vintage Cherry start out the same way but you never see Bauxite shoes yet Vintage Cherry St James is like the most popular GG shoe.

I'll let it die now.

Spandexter

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
cheers.gif

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But they've been more costly until just recently, correct? They may in fact be more customer friendly now, but that still doesn't mean their style works for everybody. Their style is pretty aggressive, and this in itself will keep some from buying their shoes even though it tends to work for others. Although there are a few G&G models I like, there are many more EG models that I like. Better often depends on what works for you, not necessarily some of the other points your making even if they are true. So we can often overlook some things if in the end it works better for you.

Agreed with the above. I simply cannot wear G&G in standard width in any last, which makes stock purchases from retailers all but impossible. I don't always want to have to go the MTO or GMTO route just to get an otherwise standard pair of shoes.

I've owned only one pair of G&G, but I have handled a good many and have attended a G&G trunk show. I see no basis for declaring them to be superior to EG in any aspect of construction or finish whatsoever. They are as equivalent as two brands can be, IMO - I'd be hard presses to name two other brands more closely matched.

Styling is subjective. G&G has some stunning models. Their Chelsea boot, for example (which I have on order). However, they have no answer to the Galway, IMO. Again, I don't know how superiority of one brand over the other could be established on the basis of style. And I don't see the purpose. People like what they like, and choice is good.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Often people become obssessed with defining "best". I have handled GG,EG, JL, and St.C. Each has different aesthetics but I would struggle to find having one as having superior leather or finishing. So much depends on the hides as such one particular run maybe higher quality than brand A one week and less so the next week. I just don't see how unless dfw wants to chime in most of us could tell a significant difference between the four.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Often people become obssessed with defining "best". I have handled GG,EG, JL, and St.C. Each has different aesthetics but I would struggle to find having one as having superior leather or finishing. So much depends on the hides as such one particular run maybe higher quality than brand A one week and less so the next week. I just don't see how unless dfw wants to chime in most of us could tell a significant difference between the four.

Well said that is why I said get them all 4 top dogs are better than one or two. But to each there own get whatever you like & makes you happy. Comparing things which is better is very subjective they all have there unique style & quirk.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the above. I simply cannot wear G&G in standard width in any last, which makes stock purchases from retailers all but impossible. I don't always want to have to go the MTO or GMTO route just to get an otherwise standard pair of shoes.

I've owned only one pair of G&G, but I have handled a good many and have attended a G&G trunk show. I see no basis for declaring them to be superior to EG in any aspect of construction or finish whatsoever. They are as equivalent as two brands can be, IMO - I'd be hard presses to name two other brands more closely matched.

Styling is subjective. G&G has some stunning models. Their Chelsea boot, for example (which I have on order). However, they have no answer to the Galway, IMO. Again, I don't know how superiority of one brand over the other could be established on the basis of style. And I don't see the purpose. People like what they like, and choice is good.
Well said Roger. I think you make some excellent points.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really see it necessary to define the best. Because like I said before best with these four often depends more as to what works best for you. However I do think its a good discussion to have with regards to comparing their various strengths and weaknesses.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed ddd, I think it is important to remember we are talking about fractional differences. Talking about the stregths and weaknesses is what the theeads are all about! Gathering as much insight as possible assists one another with future purchases.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed ddd, I think it is important to remember we are talking about fractional differences. Talking about the stregths and weaknesses is what the theeads are all about! Gathering as much insight as possible assists one another with future purchases.

Call it whatever you like, I just don't think we discuss and compare brands or models of various brands as much as we could or even should. I may very well be more of a Edward Green fan boy but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good looking John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, St Crispin, or Vass shoe from time to time. I just don't see why we cant do this in some manner which is constructive and possibly beneficial to the forum.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of it comes from a need to justify one's purchases. I am an EG guy as well but I can admit that the thorpe looks better than the Nevis and the Phillip II maybe the greatest captoe oxford of them all.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of it comes from a need to justify one's purchases. I am an EG guy as well but I can admit that the thorpe looks better than the Nevis and the Phillip II maybe the greatest captoe oxford of them all.

To some extent, especially if your making those statements after the purchase even when you failed to compare to anything prior. LOL

I don't see this as being a perfect discussion as bias generally enters in and opinions will differ. But I see no reason why we couldn't try. I just don't know how to kick it off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads