• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many thanks to the Skoak folks (@Leaves and @Skoaktiebolaget) for the great service and fast delivery on these Galways. Brown Utah calf with mink suede uppers. 82E Last with Dainite soles.

I finally got a chance to take some photos. I was a little nervous on how these would turn out, but I'm very happy with the results! Now if Fall/Winter would just get here a little faster (plus, that would mean the Doak Nevis would be ready, too!).

[\spoiler]
Very nice, I really like the mink suede.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A good idea. I was hoping to participate or organise some kind of event in the U.S. and/or Hong Kong and Singapore at some point.

Fabulous idea, im sure you would get a pretty good turn out given enough notice.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still find the standard DOAK Calf \ Walut CC to be the most attractive in my opinion.

Me too.  If you only get one Galway, THAT is the one to get.  But having only one Galway is too sad to contemplate. #firstworldproblems

I mean I'll probably end up with that but holy crap from a point of view of multiple pieces that is one that has me in awe

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean I'll probably end up with that but holy crap from a point of view of multiple pieces that is one that has me in awe

Different strokes for different folks, but like @RogerP said you need to get as many as possible? LOL

Honestly though I can't imagine having any without getting the DOAK Calf \ Walnut CC

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still find the standard DOAK Calf \ Walut CC to be the most attractive in my opinion.

I get that everyone loves this, but it's not my favorite.

Also, Zug trumps it. I may also prefer all Rosewood, and all dark oak.

Furthermore, I still feel the Galway is not a city boot at its core. No one will convince me otherwise on this. It cannot be a Shannon, no matter how hard it tries.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get that everyone loves this, but it's not my favorite.

Also, Zug trumps it. I may also prefer all Rosewood, and all dark oak.

Furthermore, I still feel the Galway is not a city boot at its core. No one will convince me otherwise on this. It cannot be a Shannon, no matter how hard it tries.

I would never claim its a substitute for the Shannon, but then again it does make a real great smart casual boot when on the 82 or 202 Last.

There's no better leather than Heather Gorse that I am aware of when it comes for more rugged and water resistance usage.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Thanks, gents, for the compliments on my new Galways.

i think Galways are a microcosm of EG as a whole. As has been said on here on many occasions, the versatility of the Galway is close to if not unparalleled. Like EG as a whole, you can't pick a "favorite", or "best looking," or just one. Depending on the last, color or color combination, sole, and material, you can create just about anything that fits dress, smart causal, or country (Ok, so maybe Galway will never be "dressy" but you get the point). I have these new ones and Rosewood CC, and I am already plotting my next pair, although I may need to fill the staple and get the Doak/Walnut CC.

Last edited:

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I laugh at the Galway "can't be city" or "no utility in all calf", etc. 82 is pretty damn dressy to begin with. I wouldn't wear with a suit, but throw on in most cities and you're sharper than most out there.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I laugh at the Galway "can't be city" or "no utility in all calf", etc. 82 is pretty damn dressy to begin with. I wouldn't wear with a suit, but throw on in most cities and you're sharper than most out there.

You betcha.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not a suit? Especially like a flannel or something a bit more casual? I totally would

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads