1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. pine tree

pine tree Well-Known Member

What are the sole on each of the styles for the patina service? Going from my eyes, I only see the jumper boot with rubber soles.

2. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

@Leaves

Wonder if you could offer smaller sizes down to UK 5.0 on the Carlos Santos patina service since you don't need to stock the shoes anyway? Many thanks

3. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The best way to get a feel for the colors are the indoor pics, as natural lighting plays a lot of tricks on color: http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/carlos-santos/products/carlos-santos-patina-service
    We'll post some styles soon. We do have a lot of our own designs in the pipeline.
    Nope. We do however hope to launch our own patina service within a year.
    A lot of the Carmina GMTOs we did had 15-30 participants, I don't really see 8 as a very large obstacle once people starts to get a feel for their sizing.
    Have no idea, Carlos Santos offers at least 4-5 different lines of footwear which are very differently priced. We've chosen to work with the proper Goodyear welted line, nothing else.
    Please email sales@skoaktiebolaget.se for fitting advice.
    No plans for this spring but definitely in the future.
    Sorry, we'll clarify on the site. Yes, only the Jumper Boot has rubber soles, the others have leather soles.
    We won't stock it, but all the shoes we offer currently online are from Carlos Santos' stock service and can be ordered in almost any size. But I'll have to check about UK 5. Email us for further queries.

4. Leaves

[​IMG]

New Brand Revealed – Carlos Santos

Founded in 1942, Carlos Santos is a maker that carries its history proudly. Carlos Santos (pictured above with myself and Carlos' daughter Ana) started working at the age of 14 in this small shoe factory in the rural town São João da Madeira close to Porto, Portugal. Today the factory carries his name. Carlos Santos shoes by Skoaktiebolaget are all Goodyear welted and made in Portugal.

We have been very impressed with what we have seen from Carlos Santos and their range of Goodyear welted shoes. We will start our collaboration with offering twelve styles: six core styles and six styles available in the Carlos Santos Patina Service. This spring we will add a dozen new styles from Carlos Santos. We also have some very nice design collaborations underway, so stay tuned for more interesting stuff from this very promising maker.

The price range starts at €310 / $325 USD and the Patina Service is €40 / $50 extra. We feel this price/quality ratio is hard to compete with. The US price includes shipping, customs and handling fees. The € price is including VAT.

As for the choice of brand, many were expecting a brand in the same category as Gaziano & Girling or Saint Crispin’s but with these two makers, we already have such a strong presence in the premium segment. Skoaktiebolaget has always been about providing great, stylish and high quality footwear for everyone – from the young professionals to the hardcore shoe connoisseurs.

Carlos Santos Patina Service
    Skoaktiebolaget offers a Patina Service through Carlos Santos. This is a unique way of putting your own touch on a pair of shoes. Selecting from a range of different patinas on the style of your choice (six styles currently available) the shoe itself will bear your stylistic signature. The delivery time for Carlos Santos Patina Service about four to six weeks. All shoes in the Patina Service are made of uncolored crust that is then hand colored.

[​IMG]

Materials
    Carlos Santos Sources most of their leathers from Tannerie d'Annonay and other French and Italian tanneries, just like many other makers in the premium Goodyear welted segment. The insoles are full leather.

Finish
    I’ve been very impressed with the Carlos Santos finish, both on the Patina Service shoes and their regular calf shoes. It’s definitely way up there and above par compared to a lot of the makers in a similar price segment. Pictured pair (a sample from our upcoming spring collection) came like this, we have not added any additional polishing or burnishing. Actually, none of the shoes you have seen us post lately have been extra polished by us, the standard finish is impressive. The waist is nicely and slightly beveled.

[​IMG]

Carlos Santos Group Orders
    Carlos Santos does not offer a regular MTO program unless you count the Patina Service, we do however offer a Group made-to-order program (GMTO). Basically, any style from Carlos Santos can be ordered in any color and on any of the lasts we offer (see below). We only accept orders for Goodyear welted shoes. For a GMTO we need 8 consecutive pairs to be ordered.

Some pictures from the factory
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carlos Santos Swatches – GMTOs requires 8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those of you who wants to read an impartial review of the Carlos Santos Goodyear welted line, you can read Shoegazing’s post by following this link. http://shoegazing.se/english/2015/09/06/review-carlos-santos-7201-braga-cognac/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. danielyam

danielyam Well-Known Member

Does Carlos santos have lasted shoetrees, or perhaps their own brand of trees?

6. Leaves

They have shoe trees, generic, but the price is very similar to our own trees and I think our own trees are nicer.

7. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

Dear Patrik,

Any sneak peek into what are the 12 new styles that will be coming in?

8. Leaves

9. Philip Lindh

Philip Lindh Member

How does Carlos Santos compare to Carmina in terms of quality?

10. Leaves

It's a bit early to start comparing, as we've just started working with this brand. Both products offer a tremendous price/quality ratio. Technically, the shoes are very similar, although Carmina features a closed channel sole while Carlos Santos uses an open channel sole stitch.

You can ready a bit on the topic here:
    http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/10/closed-vs-open-channel-sole-stitching.html

Carlos Santos offers a closed channel construction, I believe they call this Benchgrade or something like that, but this would be priced exactly as our Carmina shoes so this does not serve our purpose to offer a product in a different price tier.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tallcane

Tallcane Senior member

Picture of my first dip into the G&G St. James pool just arrived from Skoak. This is on MH-71 in F width. I think I asked for some extra burnishing.

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  12. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

...wooden shanks and cork paste (maybe chipboard paste?). High quality standards.

Very good shoe quality at a great price, indeed.

Great choice for Skoaks portfolio.

1 person likes this.
  13. SummerofLove

SummerofLove Well-Known Member

Really excited about Carlos Santos. Great to have another quality brand in the lower to mid-tier price ranges. Especially, one that is not readily available to the US market without a retailer such as Skoak. Have my Carmina boots coming in size 10 UK direct from Carmina on Monday. Will place a Carlos Santos order shortly afterwards as I currently wear Carmina Rain 10.5 UK but it's a bit loose.

Those derbies, Double monks and chukkas available in array of colors just look......[​IMG]

14. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Congrats Tallcane

15. laufer

laufer Senior member

Wonderful. I am looking forward hearing your experience how Carlos Santos fit in respect to Carmina.

16. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

@Leaves Is this one of your planned arrivals from Carlos Santos? What model/color is this particular style? I'm interested in ordering a pair.

[​IMG]

17. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Great looking boot. Reminds me of the EG Galway.

-LR

18. Leaves

2 people like this.
  19. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Nice choice and the burnishing is great!

20. mw313

mw313 Senior member