• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is EG still capable of doing MTO boots in zug grain, or heather gorse as I've heard they call it? Preferable in Veldtschoen?
biggrin.gif

Would love to have a die hard Galway in zug grain/suede, fully shearling lined (though I know EG usually only lines the shaft of the boot), Veldtschoened and ridgeway soles
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cheers,
SKM

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How is the sole attached to the welt? by machine or hand? Obviously the video shows the welt being attached to the insole/uppers but is the sole attached by hand as well? 

There's the rub I suspect ...and why they say Goodyear.

@j ingevaldsson Fantastic Shoes, congrats

Talking of the misleading Goodyear term use, the real reason is that here in Italy the correct transaltion for handwelted term is "guardolo (welt) cucito a mano (handsewn)" , it's long to pronounce and very difficult to understand for common customers being the word guardolo a technic word, unknow to most.

"Goodyear cucito a mano" or "Goodyear a mano" it's the more common way to explain this construction to that large part of customers that come to artisanal shoes from good factory made shoes and with a basic knowledge.

Last edited:

dlind

Reaction score
There's the rub I suspect ...and why they say Goodyear.
I believe so as well, also if i'm not mistaking that is exactly how st crispins does they shoes as well. But i wonder if that should really affect the "quality" since the major criticism against gemming is that it's glued, and while this construction is not completely hand made it is still not glued. Might be a good compromise to keep costs down. The only shoes that I know about that are completely hand made in this price range is Vass.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New arrival from Skoak yesterday. All aspects of the deal were smooth as silk, as per usual. Enzo Bonafe derby boot on the 946 chiseled last. Initial out of the box impressions - VERY well made and finished. The fit is reasonably generous across the forefoot and over the instep, which is perfect for me. I can't really comment on comfort yet as I have ony worn them around the house for a bit. I will get them Topy'd and then rock them every chance I get.
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are absolutely awesome boots. Congrats. Am considering an MTO for next fall of the same boot in a darker brown.

humphery

Reaction score
New arrival from Skoak yesterday. All aspects of the deal were smooth as silk, as per usual.

Enzo Bonafe derby boot on the 946 chiseled last. Initial out of the box impressions - VERY well made and finished. The fit is reasonably generous across the forefoot and over the instep, which is perfect for me.

I can't really comment on comfort yet as I have ony worn them around the house for a bit. I will get them Topy'd and then rock them every chance I get.

orig.jpg

Sleek & sharp! The aesthetic as to how the toe cap shape always remind me of the Ferrari Enzo. It'd be perfect if they can trim down the outsole a bit and skip the eyelets though

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Ferrari comparison. However, I also like the eyelets and think the outsole is part of the package on Norvegese stitched boots.

MRMstl

Reaction score
Skoak team (or anyone that knows)

How do the Carmina belts run? If I wear 33/34 pants, what size belt should I order?

Thanks!!!

Swede66

Reaction score

Skoak team (or anyone that knows)

How do the Carmina belts run?  If I wear 33/34 pants, what size belt should I order?

Thanks!!!

I wear 34" in my denims and 36" in Carmina belts.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are absolutely awesome boots. Congrats. Am considering an MTO for next fall of the same boot in a darker brown.

Sleek & sharp! The aesthetic as to how the toe cap shape always remind me of the Ferrari Enzo. It'd be perfect if they can trim down the outsole a bit and skip the eyelets though

I like the Ferrari comparison. However, I also like the eyelets and think the outsole is part of the package on Norvegese stitched boots.

Thanks guys - very pleased with these. I can understand the preference for a less pronounced sole, but like budapest12, I feel it goes with the Norvegese stitching. Plus, it's casual derby boot - this sole wouldn't play on a sleek dressy bal boot. I don't have strong feelings on the eyelets one way or the other.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I feel so strongly about this but I think losing the eyelets totally throws off the aesthetic. They balance the stitching and go with the leather. Just my view.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - very pleased with these. I can understand the preference for a less pronounced sole, but like budapest12, I feel it goes with the Norvegese stitching. Plus, it's casual derby boot - this sole wouldn't play on a sleek dressy bal boot. I don't have strong feelings on the eyelets one way or the other.

Regardless of sole, eyelets, etc (which I like both)...those boots = "I'm getting lucky tonight."

barky

Reaction score
Enzo Bonafe derby boot on the 946 chiseled last. Initial out of the box impressions - VERY well made and finished. The fit is reasonably generous across the forefoot and over the instep, which is perfect for me.
Roger, may I know what size you are wearing vis a vis EG? Is the last longer than EG and also an idea of the leather quality would be greatly appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads