1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Skoaktiebolaget – Carlos Santos, Enzo Bonafé, Saint Crispin’s, Paolo Scafora, Carmina, Rubinacci

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. striker

striker Senior Member

This might sound like a ridiculous question to ask regarding the Tomir or any partial rubber sole, but would it be laughable to have a layer of topy glued on top of the rubber. I normally go for leather sole but sometimes a certain make up appeals to me all but the sole.

There is a dearth of competent resole craftsmen where I live and economics would suggest to me that the cost of resoling/ recraft and back and forth shipping can amount to up to 75% of the cost of a new pair of shoes, which in my book, I'd rather get a new shoe. Now, the guys are all quite capable of apply a topy or vibram sheet on the soles of the shoes and that cost me like $25 per pair, I wonder if I would be laughed out of the shop if I brought a Tomir soled shoe there suggesting such a proposition.

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Distinguished Member

"Colour could be dark burgundy (as in the picture above), burnished brown or dark brown."

All those are ok with me too, as would be a pebble grain. Pretty much any last other than Simpson is ok I think. The more casual the leather (i.e. hatch or pebble grain), the more I'd prefer Tomir or Dainite, but I'm ok with leather if it's just a dark calf.

3. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

@Leaves @GabrielOB

I wear Simpson for shoes. Which Carmina boot last is the most similar? I have a low instep.

Thanks!

4. GabrielOB

GabrielOB Affiliate Vendor

The most similar boot in fit compared to Simpson last would probably be Robert. The Simpson is a narrow fit and Carmina seldom produces those kind of lasts for their boots. However, the Simpson last is available for some chukka models, like the 905.

5. Desi Montez

Desi Montez Well-Known Member

I think I prefer the single or the double over the single with leather midsole. This would be the single correct? http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/new-arrivals/products/carmina-loden-suede-chukka

I also think what is throwing me off with the thin leathe midsole is the storm welt that was pictured with them.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Too bad EG doesn't have GMTO anymore... Nevis... Wait, Thorpe... argh, a few more days!

7. Faster

Faster Senior Member

Apologies if this is elsewhere on the thread, are these single danite?

8. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior Member

It's looking like this makeup is heading toward Dainite 500 (single with a thin mid sole) actually.

9. badsha

badsha Distinguished Member

10. Tuck16

Tuck16 Member

Regarding the G&G and EG price increases, does the percentage increase apply to the MTO fee? Or just the shoe cost, itself?

Sorry if I missed this explanation.

11. Macs

Macs Senior Member

Sorry to quote myself, just to inform that we probably have another person on board as a friend of mine is interested in participating depending on the final price.

12. emiristol

emiristol Senior Member

I wouldn't pay much attention to whether you'd get "laughed out"; if it's effective, it doesn't really matter if it seems slightly excessive. But the issue w/ the tomir sole is that it's not flat; there are ridges, etc. to provide traction, so I don't know how well gluing another layer on top of a not-smooth surface would work. I would just go ask your cobbler.

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

I am probably one of the biggest EG supporters out there, with that said the Thorpe may be the superior of the Nevis.

14. smoothie1

smoothie1 Distinguished Member

Hogwash. :embar:

That's just crazy talk...

15. IGotId

IGotId Senior Member

I'd be interested if everyone decides on a brown makeup.