Skoaktiebolaget – Carlos Santos, Enzo Bonafé, Saint Crispin’s, Paolo Scafora, Carmina, Rubinacci

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Yeah I do, I'm talking strictly currency. That's kind of a cheap remark.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Sorry, I was being a jerk. But when a currency falls, it makes sense that prices for some goods will rise in local currency, precisely because of the channel you identify - export demand goes up, and the excess demand raises the local price.

3. laufer

laufer Senior member

Guys,

These are luxury goods are talking about here. EG does not compete on volume. It makes perfect sense to raise prices.

4. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Agree with you. The issue is all about what impact the price increase has on the demand -- if your demand drops off beyond a certain level, you sell less for more money but still come out behind in the end. Putting aside the economics (which I doubt anybody really cares much about), I recognize that when you sell a luxury product, you cannot let it get too cheap or it hurts your image and marketing. That applies to some extent regardless of most other things (currency, supply and demand).

5. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

If I really just want a dark oak Dover, waiting for it to be stocked by Skoak, even with the price increase, will be less expensive than ordering through MTO, right?

Same question for Galway. If I like Skoak's design (I generally do) of a future Galway, it will still be less expensive than ordering through MTO?

One of these will be my first EG, so I'm a bit of a noob.

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Tbh, I'm not sure how much the currency stuff matters for EG anyway. For a long time they have had the luxury of picking and choosing which retailers can carry their shoes. AFAIK they still turn away most retailers, so 1) it's very impressive that Skoak is able to carry them despite being a fairly young store - this speaks to the quality of Skoak's operation 2) there are way more retailers that want to carry EG than actually do, which means they can probably afford to raise prices without losing much business. That said, 15% is a pretty big increase, especially when you're starting out from a pretty high base number.

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Skoak's current Level 1 MTO fee is about 18% above the cost of a Galway. The new increase supposedly around 15%. A stock Galway later will be marginally less than an MTO now.

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Even after the 15% increase on EG & GG, Skaok will still have the best prices (USD wise) around. I think EG and GG have to make efforts to level out the pricing differences between vendors as well, because buying a pair of EG or GG under 1K use to be unheard of on this forum even 3 years ago (short of eBay).

Bottom line, we are lucky to have Skaok as an EG & GG vendor gents. So let's make out like bandits this month, and then enjoy a more reasonable discount from Skoak going forward... :slayer:

9. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

First of all, thanks for the compliments. Yes, we are proud to be an Edward Green retailer and we have a very good partnership with them, especially since Chris Gumbs took over as their retail sales manager.

The increase from Edward Green is actually only about 4% (5% for GG) the rest is the strong GBP vs SEK exchange rate messing with us. GBP has gone up something like 20% the last 18 months. Still, with the US dollar being so strong I don't think it will have a huge impact on our US clients. It's more like going back to status quo a couple of years back when the USD was very weak. I do feel for our EU and brick and mortar clients though, no doubt it will hurt us there.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Amen. To be honest, I would not have considered GG as heavily if it weren't for the recent policy changes and prices. RTW models will still get love but I don't think I'd spend 1500 on a GG EG MTO in the future. That's semibespoke prices.

11. laufer

laufer Senior member

Exactly Jubei, all this talk about percentages reminds of an English proverb "penny wise, pound foolish?

12. laufer

laufer Senior member

Hello gentlemen there has been some interest in several G&G GMTO so I decide to combine them all in one post.

GMTO # 1 Gaziano & Girling Antibes

Model : Antibes loafer
    Last : KN14
    Color : Vintage Maple Calf
    Soles : Single leather soles.

So this model = Interested parties @Ironist, @nickrut
    [​IMG]

In this color

[​IMG]

GMTO # 2 Gaziano & Girling Woburn

Model : Woburn
    Last : GG06
    Color : Brown English Grain
    Soles : To be determined: Ridgeway, Wensum: HAF

So this model
    [​IMG]

In this color :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GMTO # 3 Gaziano & Girling Wells

Model : Wells
    Last: MH71
    Color : to be determined
    Soles : to be determined.

So this model

[​IMG]

13. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I actually think that proverb would indicate we are all foolish for spending thousands on shoes regardless of price increases. That may be your point though, I don't know.

14. laufer

laufer Senior member

Not really, we all value a different things, I have not spent a penny on watches, some people may spend $6.00 for a cup of Starbucks Reserve Coffee etc etc. It depends on person.

I do appreciate Skoaktiebolaget transparency regarding the pricing by they way.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1. really unheard of before skoak. class acts all the around. not even a tint of pretentiousness. unusual for a high end luxury retailer