• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, seems the Shannon is in the new batch of doak which is darker & relatively boring.

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed. Loved the outdoor photo from the last batch. Hope the pair I ordered is lighter in the next batch.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed. Loved the outdoor photo from the last batch. Hope the pair I ordered is lighter in the next batch.

I think it's always been that way like a box of chocolate you never know what you going to get.

Both of these were DOAK.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tallcane

Reaction score

That almost always means that there's too much space between the leather and your big toe so that the leather is not creasing "with" your toes but rather creasing "into" your toes.

There are a couple of ways you can resolve this:

1. Use insole to reduce the space between the leather and your big toes. If your heel already fits then you may want to use a front half insole so that it does not disturb the fit in the heel area.

2. Or in my case, the heel and the small toes already fit very well. Hence when I put an insole, while it solved the big toe problem it caused other problems around the heel and the small toe areas. My solution was to put a heel pad on the inside lining where there's too much space between the leather and the big toe. So far it has worked like a charm (see attached picture)

YMMV, but I hope this helps

. Thank you sir!

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i was actually a little surprised when obama didn't bring it up in his state of the union speech. i thought it deserved at least as much time and attention as US foreign policy. just another example of a politician side-stepping an important issue

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Haha

I'm loving that black Newbury wholecut. Had my eye on the Carmina wholecut because I love the Rain last, but the eyelet holes don't look nearly as clean as the Newbury's. Nevermind the beveled waist on the EG pair.

Is the EG black calf noticeably nicer as well?

Yes, I realize we are talking two totally different tiers of quality. I thought differences would show with more exotic finishes and construction.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its somewhere between edwardian and old dark oak. i like. burnish toe and heel quarters and youre in business

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

its somewhere between edwardian and old dark oak. i like. burnish toe and heel quarters and youre in business

I hear you. For some reason though I like it better in pics than IRL. I have seen it look too orange and also too washed out. I prefer Edwardian for a lighter EG shade

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TBH I'm not a huge Burnt Pine fan...

If I want to go light I would rather edwardian, if I wanted darker I would go with hazel or doak. Much like bauxite it is color I would be hard pressed to reach for.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is a top down pic i posted in the EG thread a couple of days ago.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm thinking of getting a bronze and black cc galway because of the doak issue rather than burnt pine. They really need a color between burnt pine and new doak.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads