Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Skoaktiebolaget – Carlos Santos, Enzo Bonafé, Saint Crispin’s, Paolo Scafora, Carmina, Rubinacci

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I think we were eyeing the same shoes!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this isnt a debate i want to have on Skoaks thread but nothing about this boot screams EG. it could have been made by any number of english shoe companies and no one would be the wiser. imo, EG's strong suit are their lasts and iconic designs none of which are highlighted here (unless you want to make the argument that this is simply a galway with strap). the only redeeming feature is the leather used which i think was a great choice by skoak

if i didnt have a 64 last galway i would probably consider it but the overlap would be too overwhelming to justify keeping both

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I mean, it's not a dress shoe, but neither are the buckles boots you bought. I like the Asprey and Herrick models, but I've always disliked how the buckle straps seem to float in the design -- like they were just randomly sewn on. Granted, I was planning to commission a custom pair -- so I like them enough -- but this current design has buckles that look a lot more grounded. A bit more like the M-43 boot designs, which were issued by the US Army.

Whether they "scream EG" seems kind of irrelevant to me. I like EG's finishing and after a certain point, you exhaust the possibilities for models you can buy. This seems like a nice departure if you want something more casual than their usual offerings.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this pretty much sums it up. i applaud skoak for bringing this design to their customers

5. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

What do you mean? I have both discover and capitalone. When I select the credit card via paypal it own't let me input discover when the transaction is in a foreign currency so I use my capitalone visa card which avoids the fee.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Via PayPal yes but then tou are subjected to paypal's BS currency conversion which is always inflated. I was referring paying directly on their site

7. striker

striker Senior member

How do you pay directly via credit card? I had always assume that Skoab sends you a paypal invoice?

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

There is an option on PayPal, once you pick your CC as payment, that will allow your CC company to make the currency conversion. PayPal even gives a warning that they don't know what that conversion will be, to scare you off. But the option is there at check-out, i screen captured the options right before you send payment:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Got it, I think I was a little confused. You were talking about not being able to pay skoaktiebolaget directly on the site with a discover card. You can pay for an order through paypal using discover but you have to pay the paypal currency conversion fee.

I was talking about doing this and using a currency fee free card visa card like capital one:

http://lifehacker.com/5957808/avoid...exchange-rates-by-switching-one-little-option

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Would it be the same issue with PP business debit/credit card?

12. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

Oh damn... I never paid attention to this detail. Oh well. At least next time I'll be using this option.

13. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I guess you have to go through with the transaction to get that prompt?

14. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

The straps on the Kentmere seem sturdier than other previous strap and lace boots produced by Edward Green. Also, the height of this new Skoak boot seems much more desirable and reasonable.

15. Skoaktiebolaget

Skoaktiebolaget Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yes, that is correct. Please follow this link for more information:
    http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/pages/shipping

Detroit is one of Carmina's widest fitting lasts with a high instep and a roomy fit all over the feet. The toe box is roomier than Soller but we would recommend the same size for these two lasts.

This Kentmere is a completely new design which is based on a previous boot model.