• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing beats a black wholecut

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should have went for it, 10% off was a steal already.

Nice! Assume those are the ones I would have bought? :)

I think it would be "the" formal black shoe for me, but I do cheat with my EG Chelseas so I hessitate. Those look great!

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's more formal - black plain captoe or black wholecut? For me personally, I'd say the wholecut even if it isn't "formal" in the traditional sense. It just seems cleaner and more elegant. I own both and I prefer to wear my wholecuts if the occasion calls for it (weddings, galas, etc).

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's more formal - black plain captoe or black wholecut? For me personally, I'd say the wholecut even if it isn't "formal" in the traditional sense. It just seems cleaner and more elegant. I own both and I prefer to wear my wholecuts if the occasion calls for it (weddings, galas, etc).

Dare I say that the wholecut is more elegant, yet the captoe is more professional?

@tifosi disagrees with me in 5, 4, 3, 2...

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I would agree with @Bakes11771

In some contexts the whole cut will be a little too dandy. Probably very few contexts, though. And again, most people won't notice, or, if they do notice, they will only notice that you are wearing nice shoes.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Dare I say that the wholecut is more elegant, yet the captoe is more professional?

@tifosi
  disagrees with me in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Actually I wholeheartedly agree with you.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wholecuts don't seem right for a conservative-business office. They're formal but flashy, which is ironic given their minimalist styling.

Can't go wrong with captoe oxfords.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Leaves

Any word on the GG black lizard mark-up price? Last time i bother you with this, promise... :embar:

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm all this whole cut talk I might need to grab those black Carminas.

Interested to see what gets posted this weekend. Leaves can you let us know what sizes of each you'll have?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hm all this whole cut talk I might need to grab those black Carminas.  

Interested to see what gets posted this weekend.  Leaves can you let us know what sizes of each you'll have?

Please be patient, it will all be revealed on Friday or Monday. Sadly I think you're out of luck in regards of sizing though, you and me being the same size. We do have the Carmina Tärnsjö Jumper incoming in UK 12 though. Might be good for you, please e-mail for more details.

I can reveal two words though. Monkey. Boots. Monkey Boots. :fonz:

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please be patient, it will all be revealed on Friday or Monday. Sadly I think you're out of luck in regards of sizing though, you and me being the same size. We do have the Carmina Tärnsjö Jumper incoming in UK 12 though. Might be good for you, please e-mail for more details.

I can reveal two words though. Monkey. Boots. Monkey Boots.
fing02[1].gif

Hmmm...yessir. Disappointed that you didn't order all shoes in my size just incase. lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics