• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is too bad. I regret that I didnt pull the trigger on the balmoral boots last autumn.

The forest last looks more robust than the robert last so I think the latter one is more suitable for a dress boot. Its all down to preferences.

The robert last never seem to attract much attention here at SF, so based on that I understand if you are phasing it out.

I really like the Robert last, I think it's a bit of a shame that it doesn't get more recognition. My suede balmoral boots are amongst my favourite shoes I have. But Forest is a nice last as well, and I think most customers on here are more familiar with it.

More Robert Love

Swede66

Reaction score

Quote:
For a bal boot I definitely prefer Robert to Forest. Really, what's not to like?
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
Very nice!

All Tatters

Reaction score
Very nice, keep the great pics/GMTO ideas coming!

Personally I also like the reverse suede makeup, with a suede mid-section. However, I think I'd like it more in the long run if the suede and leather colour were more similar.

These boots are not mine. The images are from a French forum mentioned somewhere in this thread.

kankles

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of those carmina balmoral boots on impulse last night.

Pictures in due course gents.

lovingcup

Reaction score
Very nice, keep the great pics/GMTO ideas coming!

Personally I also like the reverse suede makeup, with a suede mid-section. However, I think I'd like it more in the long run if the suede and leather colour were more similar.

These boots are not mine. The images are from a French forum mentioned somewhere in this thread.

I dont know about a reverse make up, depends on the colour perhaps. I do prefer the regular suede/leather make up. I am open to colour suggestions (if we are to make this happen).

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also purchased mine from leatherfoot - same as @RogerP

appoooh

Reaction score
I prefer the Forest myself if I have to chose between the two. We're slowly phasing out all Robert make ups.
That's a real pity. I have oxfords in both the Robert and Forest lasts and when seen together Forest is definitely the shorter, frumpier sister to Robert.

Robert reminds me of the Rain last but with a rounded toe.

striker

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaulet

Just to show you guys a comparison of the Forest vs. the Robert last:

The Forest has a slightly higher toe box, the Robert has a stronger taper from the mid-foot to the toe.

Sizing-wise, I'd say that they're roughly equivalent. But we can order the Forest in a wide fitting, and I've gotten very good feedback on the fit of the Forest last from our customers. We haven't run a makeup on the Robert last yet.
This was originally posted by Epaulet almost 2 years back.

I can definitely see the appeal of both. I like the forest on both derby and boots, including balmoral boots. However, if it was an oxford shoe, I would choose neither the robert nor forest.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right then, let's get to work. A few months ago there was a talk about making dark brown calf with dark brown suede boot on the rain last. Let's do this makeup on Robert last.

lovingcup

Reaction score
Specs so far:

Robert last last
Dark brown calf with dark brown suede shaft - If there is a majority for this spec ill thinks its ok. Id rather see mid brown or some brown/red colour.

*Toe? - I think a plain toe with medallion would be nice.
*Sole? - Danite or plain rubber sole (whats it called?)
*Lining? - Im open.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Specs so far:

Robert last last
Dark brown calf with dark brown suede shaft - If there is a majority for this spec ill thinks its ok. Id rather see mid brown or some brown/red colour.

*Toe? - I think a plain toe with medallion would be nice.
*Sole? - Danite or plain rubber sole (whats it called?)
*Lining? - Im open.

I would like perforated toe without medallion and leather soles as this would be dress boot.

lovingcup

Reaction score
I would like perforated toe without medallion and leather soles as this would be dress boot.

I understand. I suppose I can skip the medallion but the rubber sole is essential, dress boot or not. During the winter the streets in Sweden are covered with gravel and salt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads