Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Skoaktiebolaget – Carlos Santos, Enzo Bonafé, Saint Crispin’s, Paolo Scafora, Carmina, Rubinacci

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. vorkanz

vorkanz Well-Known Member

Any interest for this MTO with Skoaktiebolaget?
    Model: The Oxford
    Color: Vintage Oak
    Last: DG70 Smart round
    Sole: Fiddle - back oak bark-tanned single leather
    Lining: Standard dark brown
    F-Width.

2. Skoaktiebolaget

Skoaktiebolaget Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

3. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

FYI - Blake stitching:

[​IMG]

4. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I'm definitely in - just need to decide on colour with whoever else is imvolved

5. laufer

laufer Senior member

I am interested but it could be at least 2-3 weeks before I can make a decision having said that I have a strong preferences for light tan color or what Bonafe calls Vitello Elise. I will try to take a picture of Vitello Elise swatch I have next to the other tan colors I have; Carmina tan and cordovan whiskey color so guys can see what it looks like.

@Leaves if you guys could take a picture of Vitello Elise next to EG Acorn or GG Maple that would help us a lot. My understanign is that these three colors are similar.

Also I would also prefer blake stitching since we are going with the lighter color we might as well go with the lighter sole.

Let's keep this going and see who else is interested.

6. agbassano

agbassano Senior member

Isn't part of the beauty of Bonafé the hand welting??? Blake stitching is done by machine is it not? I'm not sure there is a quality difference but maybe we can get another group for hand welting... 15% upcharge seems like a bargain compared to 50% for Carmina for a (beautiful and well made) machine made shoe... so maybe I will think deeply about another makeup just for myself for ≈ $100 upcharge..:nodding:

7. diadem

diadem Senior member

So I got my sizing down, at least in the Carmina Rain last. I'm a US 10 for my left foot and a US 9.5 in my right foot. I believe that's a UK 9.5 for my left and UK 9 for my right, according to Carmina's sizing conversion chart. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming that ordering different sizes for my left and right foot won't be a problem as this is a MTO.

As for the makeup of the shoe, I'm ok with any shade of brown, but I would prefer a darker shade if I had to choose (will go with lighter if that's what the majority wants). I don't particularly care for Blake stitching. Would it be possible for flush metal toe taps to be added? How much extra would that cost?

8. Skoaktiebolaget

We'll try and post some comparison shots during the day.

The Blake is also hand stitched. The only pro for the Blake in our opinion is the sleekness, like if you want a summer loafer, formal dress patent shoe etc.

Please remember that a GMTO is not actually a MTO. It's a group order. All the pairs in a GMTO has to be exactly the same except for size. Also, you cannot have different sizes for one pair.

EDIT: faulty comment

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

A bit contradictory... :hide:

10. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

When you consider that Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling and Enzo Bonafé all apply the same policy one could assume that there is actually a valid reason for it, I don't think they're doing it just to piss people off. :)

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I only point out that the wording is confusing. My peace has already been made with the GMTO policy.

I would assume they meant to say you can have different sizes in the GMTO, but there can be no width deviation. Which is not so clear in the original statement I quoted...

12. Skoaktiebolaget

Yes, it's possible to make this model.

13. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Are you sure about this? I know you can replicate a Blake stitch by hand, but it's very hard and time consuming. I've never heard of any RTW/MTO maker doing it, and it's very rare among bespoke makers as well.

14. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Well, this is a dealbreaker for me. Paying $600+ for a pair of shoes that don't fit well (on one foot, anyway) doesn't make much sense to me. I am going to have to pull out of this GTMO.
    Quote:Could you maybe shed some light as to why they have this policy? As far as I'm aware, these shoes are handmade to order. I don't see what's so difficult about using one last to make one shoe and a different sized last to make the other. I'm befuddled that higher-end brands like the ones you've mentioned have this policy when I can place an order for a MTO pair of Allen Edmonds shoes at no extra cost with different sizes for the same pair.
    Quote:And the thing is I don't actually need a difference in width -- just my left shoe a half size larger than my right.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

15. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

For a single MTO you can change both width and sizes for left and right foot. But not for a group buy.