• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took my CS skin stitch derby boots with me on my trip to Europe. They handled the rain and rough, cobbled street beautifully.

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

Definitely looking forward to the offerings on Black Friday to see if I can pick up something else!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great - thanks for the heads up. Need a pair of black kicks for my upcoming wedding :).

Also, anyone have suggestions (I have some in mind)? Just curious! I wear an 8.5 UK :).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if $300 doesn't matter to you, then sure... but not everyone has the same price elasticity.

We would have the same price elasticity if we lived in a communist society. But the finest calf would be reserved for politburo members, so nobody really wins.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My issue is that while they look really interesting, when you add in shoe trees they're only ~$300 less than St. Crispin's where I can get a custom MTO without surcharge and last modifications to make my feet as happy as can be. It's a tough price point.

I'd love to see some of their less conservative makeups in the webshop too. I've seen some really interesting monk straps on their instagram. A really neat model would probably make me take the plunge.

Well you could argue around that price point everyone (GG/EG/JL) has same issue vs StC. Probably more to do with them being unknown

WilYa

Reaction score
Well you could argue around that price point everyone (GG/EG/JL) has same issue vs StC. Probably more to do with them being unknown
Same applies to Stefano Bemer RTW and Bontoni.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not quite sure I'd say that. IMO G&G's lasts and patterns just can't be beat. So sexy. St. Crispin's definitely beats them out on construction though. Those pegged waists are things of beauty.

Actually I'd say my least favorite aspect of St. Crispin's are the lasts. The Classic and Riva are definitely nice, but don't hold a candle to say G&G's MH71 , TG73 or DG70. I'd even say that I even prefer some of Carmina's lasts (like the Rain) to St. Crispin's. JL on the other hand just seems a bit conservative/stodgy overall to interest me, and EG seems like a more boring G&G (minus the Galway).

Anyways, I at least see aspects of G&G that have made me choose them vs. St.Crispin's. But not so much when it comes to EG or JL.

That being said, some Paolo Scafora models are interesting enough I might eventually take the plunge. These criss-cross monks for example are super cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY00MK7lWLM/?taken-by=paoloscafora

I quite like these single monks as well:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV4V6AmlsI_/?taken-by=paoloscafora

If they ever showed up as a GMTO or in Skoak's shop I'd probably pull the trigger... :p

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if $300 doesn't matter to you, then sure... but not everyone has the same price elasticity.

Not saying it doesn't matter to me. Just that if you're in the market for > $1k shoes and $300 is gonna break the bank, you might want to adjust your priorities...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads