• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Butterfeet

Reaction score
The burgundy Bonafe... Damn. So far I've only had shoes from Carmina, J. Fitzpatrick, Loake, and Meermin. Perhaps this is my step up?

How does the 062 last fit compared to Carmina? For reference, I'm a

UK7.5 in Carmina Simpson
UK7 in Carmina Inca and Rain
UK 7 in J. Fitzpatrick lasts

My instep is low. I've heard Bonafe lasts have high instep. Would this be a problem for me?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The burgundy Bonafe... Damn. So far I've only had shoes from Carmina, J. Fitzpatrick, Loake, and Meermin. Perhaps this is my step up?

UK7.5 in Carmina Simpson

My instep is low. I've heard Bonafe lasts have high instep. Would this be a problem for me?

Please email us at [email protected] for personal fitting advice.

vestbash

Reaction score
So, did we stop guessing who the mystery maker will be? My bets are on the return of G&G, picture looks like the GG06 last to me...

The welting with the brown welt with black stitching doesn't really strike me like EG. Doesn't look much like them to me.

Jdog12345

Reaction score
Any idea if there will be some more Carlos Santos hand grades being stocked sometime soon? Or a restocking of sizes on the current 3 CS handgrades? Am so intrigued by the 389 last, it looks amazing!
Can anyone comment on the differences between the Carmina Simpson and the CS 389? To me the the vamp looks lower on the 389 which is perfect for someone with a lower instep such as myself.

supern0va

Reaction score
My bet is on GG, definitely not EG :)

Did someone say GG? Got this last year during Black Friday! Prob one of my favourite shoes!

IMG_2413.jpg

But seriously I don't think skoak will bring back GG so quickly after discontinuing it. :(

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can you say whether that will include wider width options?

As long as I'm asking about widths, you had mentioned that more information would be forthcoming on Scafora width options. Would love to hear what the options are.

Yes, there will be some lasts catering to a wider foot and we are also looking at adding different widths for some lasts.

Regarding Scafora, please email [email protected] and we can check that for you, currently it's quite limited.

zanci

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me how to care for the carlos santos patina?

Go for the neutral wax or the cloesest color?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can somebody tell me how to care for the carlos santos patina?

Go for the neutral wax or the cloesest color?

I would recommend Bick4. It's a great product for nourishment and does not discolour or remove colour. If you want a high shine, try neutral or same tone polish. I normally use 2 different colour polishes on my shoes to create extra depth.

insy

Reaction score

UK7.5 in Carmina Simpson

I don't see how Bonafe will work with low insteps. I have tried a couple lasts from EB and neither one worked for me. However, I am surprised you can wear Rain with a low instep, perhaps yours isn't as low as mine or are you using a tongue-pad?

My bet is on GG, definitely not EG :)

That would be really great but how likely is it to re-add a maker after such a short period of time? After all it makes me wonder how GG has no other retailer than MrPorter in Europe though.

Meyboom

Reaction score
@Leaves The new Bonafe in vintage Ilcea grain looks great. How is your experience with these vintage leathers? Aren't they quite fragile and prone to creasing?

Butterfeet

Reaction score
I don't see how Bonafe will work with low insteps. I have tried a couple lasts from EB and neither one worked for me. However, I am surprised you can wear Rain with a low instep, perhaps yours isn't as low as mine or are you using a tongue-pad?

I don't actually own any shoes in Rain. I did try it on once or twice in stores and the one that fit me best was 7UK. However I can't remember how the instep was.

I have a pair of NST derby in Simpson 7.5UK that to me is a perfect fit. Snug in the heel but with just enough room in the toe area. The instep is just right too. I remember trying on 7.5UK Simpson in a Oxford before and the lacing was tight (as it probably should be before the leather loosens and stretches). So I think my benchmark fit so far is 7.5UK in the Simpson.

I also notice that J. Fitzpatrick shoes have rather high instep. Not too bad but it's definitely not low. Which I think explains why the leather creases a little strangely on the shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads