Skoaktiebolaget – Carlos Santos, Enzo Bonafé, Saint Crispin’s, Paolo Scafora, Carmina, Rubinacci

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I had the same problem as you. I would not size up. Keep the size. If anything, you may size down one half. But I would keep the size the same for the first pair. I will be sizing down in the future.

Here's what I have/had

Based my fitting on a great fitting 11.5D US Cole Haan (we all start somewhere, right?)

Inca - 10.5UK, tons of toe room, a little room on the sides. I thought this fit great until..

Simpson - 10.5UK - This is how a shoe should fit, for me at least. Same amount of toe room, snug on the sides.

Uetam - 11UK - Got these before through Skoak and didn't like the shoe and the fit felt a little big. I was terrified to do it but I sent them back and sized down half.

Uetam 10.5UK - Fits great all around. But since there's room in the toe (which there should always be) and the opening is so large, my foot slides forward a little and the entire shoe slips off. I don't even need shoe trees to put these on.

Future Plans:

Uetam 10UK - Will be more snug on the sides but not unreasonable. And the slippage should be mostly gone.

Rain - 10UK - Sizing down since it's so damn large everywhere, just like the Inca

Simpson 10.5UK - Since it's not larger and it's not a loafer, sticking with the usual.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

2. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

By sizing down, I'm assuming you mean from 8.5 to 8? My current loafer selection is nothing to write home about (Cole Haan's :eh:) in 9.5 US and my feet slide around some.

3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Absolutely. I thought Patrik was nuts when he suggested it. "What? Size down from my perfect (fat fitting last) Incas to the slim fitting Uetams? And I sized up, opposite of his advice. Wasted $107+ doing it ($40 shipping, $77 to send back to him).

I did the best I could to depict the slippage I'm talking about. The Inca is just like the Rain so I'm treating it that way. These are all 10.5UK:

[​IMG]
    Comparison (Simpson - Uetam - Inca)

[​IMG]
    Uetam length vs Inca length (Same, if not more for Inca)

[​IMG]
    Uetam width vs Inca width. Note the height comparison as well. Which is why I'd size down if the Rain/Inca has any room in the sides for you. The toe should always have room.

[​IMG]
    Uetam loafer slippage. My foot slides forward due to the long opening.

[​IMG]

Inca slippage - Less, but still there.

[​IMG]
    Simpson slippage - best fitting shoe ever. Doesn't rub, doesn't slip.

4. Cuttingboard

Thank you so much mrjester...you've been a huge help!!

5. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Any time. And let me know how it works out if you get the Uetams (if you decide to size down 1/2).

6. Cuttingboard

I think I'm going to stick with my current size in the Rain last, 8.5UK instead of sizing up to 9UK. I doubt their going to be too big since their narrower than the Rain last.

I wish someone in the US carried these loafers!! I would order several different pair.

7. thecool85

thecool85 Senior member

Man, this was the best sizing post I've ever seen in a thread regarding Carminas. This was super helpful and very much appreciated.

8. joiji

joiji Senior member

Looks like the website is down?

9. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Nope... not now anyway, have not had any reports of this from other people.

10. joiji

joiji Senior member

11. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Leaves, do get back to me when you've found a bit of time for my little interview.

12. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Hi Ville, absolutely, I'll try and get it sent over before the weekend, have been on a very tight schedule the last couple of weeks, that's all. :D

13. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

FWIW, I think I need to size up on Uetam vs Simpson. Armoury didn't have a 10.5 UK Uetam, and when I tried my normal 10, it was short on me. I may ultimately find that Uetam doesn't work for me at all if in a moment of weakness I buy the laced loafer.

14. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

What Uetam shoe did you have on? My post was on not so much the size difference but the shoe opening. The loafer has a wide opening vs most shoes on the Simpson.

But if it was a loafer, you may be right and it may not work for you. My next loafer is definitely sized .5 down. It may be too small, but not likely for me. I expect it to be tight on the sides but not unreasonably so. "Snug."

But feet are feet, no two are the same.