• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belfaborac

Reaction score
No shortcuts, actually our internal QC process (basically Alexander doing a visual inspection) at Skoaktiebolaget notices very few Carlos Santos rejects or quality issues. Very few returns on account of quality. I stand by my statement that this is about the best bang for the buck you get these days in classic quality footwear.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Once I've worked through my current short-list I'll likely give Carlos Santos a go.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a great collection from
Paulo Scafora. I see some beautifully shoes there, especially those split toes.

I do wonder the difference of price between Bonafe and Scafora and what makes Scafora a bit more expensive.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do they fit?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love to get some last information. Can't wait to see what their MTO program looks like (if there will be one).

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this current selection of Scafora all crust/patina calf?

Also, is their hand-crafted method similar to StC or EB?:
"Scafora shoes are totally hand-crafted by talented master artisans".

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do see some differences between carlos santos and Carmina. Carmina has better quality suede and calf leather, better leather insole, better looking lasts design, edges and heel antiqued and you name it. It's notible that they are a step ahead. They just look better overall.

Also, Carminas thread is still very active and for some reason there is no traffic in carlos santos thread. I haven't seen people posting personal reviews about santos like what most do in carmina, EG, bonafe threads etc. just sharing my personal opinion and observation.

I do believe they are a great value in their price range.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the photos, it looks like the PS leather blows EB out of the water.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think? Patina leather always looks amazing on photos. What makes you say that?

I believe the vitello and betis are quite different than the calf that Scafora uses on their shoes.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps PS is more selective when it comes to Hyde utilization. EB isn't exactly choosy in this regard. Also perhaps more man hours go into each pair for finishing.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have pics of the Mergallino's in action by chance? It's probably the wrong descriptor, but there's something wonderfully plump about the toe box area. Those and the black captoes are my favorites of the bunch

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps PS is more selective when it comes to Hyde utilization. EB isn't exactly choosy in this regard. Also perhaps more man hours go into each pair for finishing.

Co-sign. I even prefer the leather quality on each of my 5 pairs of Carmina than on my one pair of EB boots. Apples to oranges yes, but then I'd hope Scafora costing twice the price of EB would use considerably better hides.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've definitely had some disappointing leather quality from Bonafe in the past but, to be fair, have experienced some disappointment with 1 pair of Carminas as well. I'm not really impressed with Bonafe's QC. More than 1 pair have arrived with sole edge dressing slopped all over the leather, have had the lining around an eyelet already torn upon arrival, and have seen certain MTO details missing entirely. I've never had a QC issue with Carmina. That being said, I get a much better fit from Bonafe lasts than I do Carmina so I prefer EB in that regard. However, at the $500 - $600 USD price point, I think Vass makes a better shoe. YMMV.

Curious to see how PS is different than Bonafe. There's certainly room for improvement. Hopefully twice the price achieves that.

cypi2

Reaction score
Did the same person buy all the Paolo Scafora in UK 11?! :puzzled:

I own two pairs of Carlos Santos shoes (one pair of boots and one pair of derby), and, they meet all my expectations.
Of course, my expectations are not the same when I buy a pair of Carlos Santos shoes as when I buy a pair of Saint Crispin's shoes, for example.
I find Carlos Santos shoes offer good value for their price.
I do not find they are of substantially lower quality than the Carmina shoes and boots I own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads