• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danielyam

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Sitting on the fence between the Carmina workwear and this. Hope to see more pictures soon

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The captoes on the swan-neck oxfords look a little elongated. Or was it the camera angle?

This was my initial reaction as well when I put the shoes on in the store. Looking at it from a bird's view, the cap toe does look like it's to long. But looking from other angles, this is unnoticeable. All in all, it's longer, but not to long. I think this is the case (longer cap toe) because it's a swan neck model. Otherwise, the vamp might look to naked.

As for Carmina workwear vs CS swan neck model, it's a matter of preference. The CS last is more elongated than the Carmina ditto. If you prefer an elongated last and don't mind or want to change things up with a swan neck model, you should definitely give the CS cap toe a try. Personally, I'm considering the CS version but in another colour at a later stage. I have other commissions I need to get through before that happens.

Last edited:

ochong

Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying. The example calf image looks so much more chiseled and pointed than the suede. I actually thought they were totally different lasts.

I see what you mean from that photo. See this one Patrik just put on Instagram for another view. https://instagram.com/p/BBpN9PUL7mH/

I suppose the patina calf model could still be a bit different but this is a nice top down view of the 160 last.

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I see what you mean from that photo. See this one Patrik just put on Instagram for another view. https://instagram.com/p/BBpN9PUL7mH/

I suppose the patina calf model could still be a bit different but this is a nice top down view of the 160 last.

The Suede Chukka is on the 160 last. The black Swan Neck Oxford is on the 187 last.

187 is more elongated and slimmer, but otherwise they show a lot of resemblance.

ochong

Reaction score
@Leaves I think @Xristo was curious about the suede chukka vs the patina model chukka. They're both on 160, correct?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Carlos Santos lasts Patrik

Carlos Santos - 234: UK 11
Generous last with plenty room across the instep, great arch support. For me it fits very close to Carmina Rain, maybe a hair wider. Honestly one of the most comfortable RTW lasts I’ve tried.

Carlos Santos - 160: UK 11
Also a quite generous last despite the sleek look. A bit more narrow than the 234 last and Carmina Rain.

Carlos Santos - 187: UK 11.5
I had to size up half a size from 234 and 160. Still, not an optimal fit for my wide-ish feet. It's slim but not as slim as Carmina Simpson (which I have a problem even getting into). It's however longer than Simpson. Not an optimal last if you have a wide foot or high instep. Better for people with slim to normal width feet.

Reference lasts Patrik

Carmina
Carmina Rain: UK 11 - good fit, the best of all the Carmina lasts for me
Carmina Soller: UK 11 - slight heel slippage
Carmina Inca: UK 11.5 – not a perfect fit for me
Carmina Forest: UK 11.5 - decent fit, the instep could be roomier for a better fit. I use UK 12 for boots in order to accommodate thicker socks.
Carmina Simpson: Could probably squeeze into a UK 12 but in all honesty, not a good last for me, I avoid it because of my wide-ish feet and high instep

Edward Green
184: UK 11.5 E
202: UK 11.5 F bordering on E, not an optimal fit for me
606: UK 11.5 F bordering on E, not an optimal fit for me
82: UK 11.5 F - good fit for me, best of all EG lasts
888: UK 11.5 F

Gaziano & Girling
KN14: UK 11.5 F
MH71: UK 11.5 F - very good fit, best fitting of all G&G lasts
GG06: UK 11.5 F
DG70: UK 11.5 F
TG73: UK 12 F - not an optimal fit for me

Enzo Bonafé
Enzo Bonafé 74945: UK 11.5 – very good fit, among the best of any RTW last I’ve tried
Enzo Bonafé 363: UK 11.5 – heel slippage, not an optimal last for me
Enzo Bonafé 363MOD: UK 11.5 (better than the normal 363 last but still some minor heel slippage, although no heel slippage if it's a high boot like a Button Boot or a Balmoral boot)

Saint Crispin’s
Classic last: 11.5 G/F – I’m between F and G and now have a personalized last

Other brands:
John Lobb 7000: UK 11F – can wear UK 11E but this is very snug
Alden Barrie: US 11.5D – too roomy

Carlos Santos lasts Oliver

160: UK 8
187: 8.5
234: UK 8

Reference lasts Oliver

Carmina
Rain: UK 8
Simson: UK 8.5

Gaziano & Girling
MH71: 8.5 E (slightly narrow, could take wider width as well)
TG73:8.5 E (slightly narrow, could take wider width as well)

Saint Crispin’s
Classic: 8 G - Best fitting RTW last and size for me

Enzo Bonafè
946 – 8.5 (a bit roomy over the instep, slightly long)
363 – 8.5 (a bit roomy over the instep)

Will post comparisons for Douglas and Alexander later on. Gabriel has quite special feet because of his days as an soccer player so we'll exclude him - might just cause confusion. :embar:

Dannefalk

Reaction score
Here is a shot from above of the Carlos Santos lasts that we carry in store:

187 - Chiseled, bit more snug fitting
160 - Chiseled sleek last
234 - Soft chiseled

Hope this is helpful

Kind regards,

Oliver

ochong

Reaction score
No worries. Thanks for the thoughts on the lasts and the fitting info. Very helpful.

bloodyj13

Reaction score
The wifey should love those but I've gotta ask....what the heck is on the mouse pad?!

......i work at a traditional company with conservative i.t policy, can't change any thing from the original package...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads