Skinny with Long Arms

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blc456, May 10, 2010.

1. blc456

blc456 Senior member

Does anyone else have the problem of being skinny with long arms? I am about a 15.5 x 36 in dress shirts with around a 39" chest. Getting dress shirts isnt so bad because I can find slim fitting dress shirts in that size. My problem comes with casual shirts (Sized S, M etc). I love the casual shirts from J. Crew but the tall sizes dont start until L and the chest is far too big. Even the M tall sizes from the BR/GAP (which isnt really my favorite) only come with a 34.5" arm. Anyone know of a place that I could maybe look into for casual shirts?

2. XeF4

XeF4 Senior member

Yes. Your options:

[]Go Bespoke.
    []Deal with it.

You could try to find a brand that caters to your needs but it will probably cost you alot in trial and error.

3. jekyoo_style

jekyoo_style Well-Known Member

time to work out! you'll look better and clothes will be more fitting. that's what i had to do. lol

4. blc456

blc456 Senior member

Thanks, I figured my options were deal with it or buy shirts that fit in the arms and have a tailor take the rest of the shirt in, but that would seem to be expensive in the long run. I do go the gym so maybe one day I will be able to fit into a larger size get the extra arm length [​IMG]

5. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

I have the exact same problem, I just always roll up the sleeves when I wear a long sleeve shirt.

6. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

I have this problem :[

7. puddin

puddin Senior member

some shirts have extra fabric built into the cuff so that you can let them out. you can feel this if you run your hand across the cuff. you can buy these shirts in a size that fits and let them out.

8. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Just buy MTM. It's not that expensive and you're going to be unsatisfied with your fit until you do.

9. bossman08

bossman08 Senior member

some shirts have extra fabric built into the cuff so that you can let them out. you can feel this if you run your hand across the cuff. you can buy these shirts in a size that fits and let them out.

What brands offer this detail?

10. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

I had to go MTM. I have 15.5" neck, 36 sleeve, 42" chest. Tough for me to find things that fit me the way I want.

11. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

Guys, this isn't that hard. This question gets asked here 10 times a year (including by me back in 2007 or something...) and usually ends up with a bunch of people screaming MTM but that is just bullshit. Believe me, I'm 6'3 with a 19" chest and 31" waist, I know.

Rule number 1: If you are tall and skinny STOP SHOPPING AT THE MALL! Brands like BR, Gap, J Crew, etc... cater to mainstream America. Mainstream America is not skinny, they are average to fat so you your long shirts will always be too wide, your slim shirts will always be too short. American Apparel will be your only shot at a mall brand that makes reasonable "skinny friendly" clothes for someone tall and thin. Deal with quality and sweatshop concerns as necessary.

OK, so what does that mean? It means you need to look more towards labels that aren't so fat-friendly. Wing & Horns is a great example, they have a "slim large" that works very well for me. B.Son is pretty tall guy friendly too.

Plenty of French and Japanese brands will work just fine, depending on your style and price range:
    Rick Owens, RAF, Ann D, Dior Homme, Jill Sander, Julius, Yohji, Lanvin, LUC, Burglar, CCP, etc...

12. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Guys, this isn't that hard. This question gets asked here 10 times a year (including by me back in 2007 or something...) and usually ends up with a bunch of people screaming MTM but that is just bullshit. Believe me, I'm 6'3 with a 19" chest and 31" waist, I know. Rule number 1: If you are tall and skinny STOP SHOPPING AT THE MALL! Brands like BR, Gap, J Crew, etc... cater to mainstream America. Mainstream America is not skinny, they are average to fat so you your long shirts will always be too wide, your slim shirts will always be too short. American Apparel will be your only shot at a mall brand that makes reasonable "skinny friendly" clothes for someone tall and thin. Deal with quality and sweatshop concerns as necessary. OK, so what does that mean? It means you need to look more towards labels that aren't so fat-friendly. Wing & Horns is a great example, they have a "slim large" that works very well for me. B.Son is pretty tall guy friendly too. Plenty of French and Japanese brands will work just fine, depending on your style and price range: Rick Owens, RAF, Ann D, Dior Homme, Jill Sander, Julius, Yohji, Lanvin, LUC, Burglar, CCP, etc...
    If your price range is $200+ and your style is "fresh off the runway", yes I'm sure all those brands will work just fine. I'm still not sure why you're discouraging MTM. [edit] That said, noobs should learn to search.

13. dano

dano Well-Known Member

ends up with a bunch of people screaming MTM but that is just bullshit.

Not bullshit. I'm a size 16.5'' 37''. MTM is the easiest and cheapest option. Only downside is you don't get the cool details that go into the popular street wear shirts that go around here (Epaulet, etc.). Often though, these details can be mostly copied, and a MTM like modern tailor is usually much cheaper. I recommend if you go this route, you measure from a well fitting shirt you already own, or a combination of the best fitting shirts you own.

I would love to own a few of the club collar OCBD's from Epaulet, but there's just no way I would fit my arms into one, so my next best option is to get one MTM.

Rick Owens, RAF, Ann D, Dior Homme, Jill Sander, Julius, Yohji, Lanvin, LUC, Burglar, CCP, etc...

These brands might work, but they are more than a little difficult to find for anyone outside of NY, not to mention they are prohibitively expensive for most. Also they are often (but certainly not always) outlandish and "statement" pieces.

14. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

Don't focus on the runway pieces and you can find plenty of standard tops from most of those designers. And don't forget about W&H and AA either.

My bigger point is that unless you live in NYC, San Francisco, Chicago or LA you are going to have a hard time finding anything in person and will almost surely have to resort to online shopping for OTR clothes or MTM.

15. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

Every time this same thread gets posted the answers get even more ridiculous. Props to @BrettChaotix for trying to steer the ship aright. Newest wrinkle in this thread: apparently it's difficult and expensive to find designer clothing outside of NYC but it's easy and cheap to get well-done casual MTM shirts done anywhere. Right...

I'd say it's more the other way around. Do some searches on the forum and then find those brands at sales, Gilt, etc. MTM is always the same price and the first time you almost always have to buy a batch (this might be where I get enlightened about Dallas tailors. No hate). Not to mention that anything approaching affordable MTM (internet MTM like MyTailor, I guess - no first order batch but which sucks and doesn't hold a candle to a good deal on the brands listed above) isn't going to help you with knits...