• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny ties

Tardek

Reaction score
Yes or no? I just received two dark ones (one navy, one black). The black one is pure polyester, and is a little bit shiny.

I am told that this is hip, but this came from someone who thinks that Boss suits are the be all and end all of fashion.

I am slim, myself.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear them if you want to look trendy (though apparently skinny ties are going out of "fashion")

Usually, the tie width should relate to the width of the lapel, so wear it with slimmer lapelled (trendy) suits.

I am referring to ties less than 3"

Biscione

Reaction score
I think that knits and regimental ties look best when skinny.

Flat coloured silk (or polyester) skinny ties? To me, the width adds nothing to them, and they look too trendy.

Also, any of the Dioresque ridiculously skinny ties just look bad.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black, shiny, skinny tie sounds like bad news, to me. Navy could be OK. If your suit is skinny, and your lapels are skinny, your tie should also be skinny.

A propos of skinny ties, does anyone do anything different when tying these, as compared to tying a normal tie? I only have one skinny tie - it's of quite poor quality, which may be my problem - but I can never get it to tie a decent knot. A four in hand just ends up so tiny, but the shape of a windsor knot is completely incongruous with the narrowness of the tie. I rarely wear this tie, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'm curious. This is not so much an issue for narrow, knit ties, as their thickness ensures a better looking knot (in my experience), even when wearing a cheap one.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The polyester shiny ones in solid colors are definitely played out. Knit ties are pretty much at the peak of their hipness. That is to say, most people will probably see a knit tie wearer and think that he is doing something a bit clever.

Also, if popularity is any measure of what is already over the hill in terms of the cool factor, the skinny knit tie is still "it" if you just look at production. Every factory is doing huge orders of poly and silk 2 inch solid ties for Next, Topman, and every other mainstream brand under the sun. There are actually very few factories that have invested in the relatively inexpensive machines that make knit ties. Just based on the numbers of orders, knit sock ties remain the most exclusive item in the field of trendy ties.

The production cost of the cheapest knit ties is more than doubled that of the cheapest woven ties; it is not in the interests of the margins of mainstream producers for knit ties to be popular.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we define "skinny?" My preference for ties is 2 3/4 inches to 3 1/4 inches, with 3 inches being about the sweet spot. I will go a quarter inch in either direction if I like the style, or if I am wearing a suit or jacket with wider lapels, but ties wider than 3 1/2 just seem too big for me now (and I have a rack full of them.) I have really liked this thinner tie trend as I think it harks back to one of the best dressed times of American men's fashion - the late 50s and early 60s. As such, I have bought more ties in the past two years than any other clothing item. Skinnier than 2 1/2 inches I would call trendy, and it reminds me more of the leather ties of the 80s than the 50s - 60s period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads