1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skinny ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Nov 29, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

I recently bought a tie off of ebay and the add didn't say anything about it being skinny (not sure if there is a name for this). But when compared to all my other ties it is aoubt 1-2 inches smaller in width than my other ties. Are these ties appropriate to wear? ANything special i should know about wearing one. Or is it something i should never wear.

thanks
    Nik

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

two things you should know.

1) They are in "style" now (wear it quick before tomorrow, who knows what will be then).
    2) Knitted ties will always be skinnier than the regular silk weaves or prints. If this is a knit it might be the way its supposed to be.

If you like it and it looks nice wear it, if not dont.

Hey...There is always eBay...

JJF

3. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

I had a similar experience with a pair of Hermes ties purchased on ebay. Two different sellers and both ties - silly me for not asking about width - hearkened back a little too much to the era of Sinatra and the Rat Pack for my taste. I tried disguising the width by only wearing them under v-neck sweaters but ultimately abandoned even that strategy and just wrote them off as a charitable contribution.

4. Roy

Roy Senior member

I bought a nice Louis Vuitton tie in Paris a couple of months ago and it's just fashionable now. The thing is, the width of the ties changes every couple of seasons. Last year the really wide and thick silk ties were in fashion. Especially with a full windsor knot. This season it's the skinnier tie and a four in hand. At least in my country [​IMG]

5. novalis

novalis Senior member

Hmm, if anyone else is considering giving away quality narrow ties (for me that 3 inches or less), let me know. If they're nice, I'll be happy to take those off your back (or shirt as the case may be).