Skinny Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FrzenRopes, Jul 7, 2005.

1. FrzenRopes

FrzenRopes Member

Yesterday I found a tie that I like at my local Salvation Army, and although I wasn't sure if it was too skinny or not, at $0.25 it was worth the investment. So I got home, tried it on with a dress shirt and slacks, and indeed it is just a little too thin for my tastes (and my wife's as well). So is there any way to fatten it up? Can I take out the stiching in the back, pull out the fabric a bit, and try to steam/crease it at its new position? Or should this be left to a professional? Or should it not be done at all? Thanks.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Dont be a fool... Edit your post to erase the origins of the tie and sell it to forum Member Kent Wang for 50 dollars. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why don't we swap? I'll give you my fat ties and you give me your skinny ones. Previous threads have concluded that reshaping a tie is cost-prohibitive and you might as well buy a new tie. Tiecrafters will do it for $14 plus shipping. http://tiecrafters.com/alterations.html

4. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I had Tiecrafters widen some of my 80's Hermes ties and the results were great.

5. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

tgfny.

How exactly did Tiecrafters widen your tie?

Did they open it up and then sew a matching piece of silk on and then sew it back together?

And how much did they charge you?

Thank you,

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

$14 + 25 cents + domestic shipping both ways = under 30 bucks still a bargain if it is a good quality tie that he really likes...