1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skinny, semi skinny or regular sized tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BullionBro, Nov 23, 2012.

1. BullionBro

BullionBro Well-Known Member

I am looking to build my tie collection. I hate skinny ties but I have seen some that are semi slim. A litter slimmer than full sized ties.

I dont know what I should go with. Full sized or Medium sized.

2. atoms

atoms Senior member

Besides taking lapel width into concern, I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I stay away from the widest ones because I've got a small torso/narrow shoulders. But I'm flexible if the tie is otherwise perfect.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Skinny ties are always a no. Those things are hideous.

If you're a skinny guy with a narrow frame, go for the slim ties. If you have a bigger figure, obviously go with the full width.

Also, make sure your jacket lapel width matches that of your ties as well.

4. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Dont let folks complicate things. After actually reading your post you are asking on an opinion between medium and full sized ties.
    If you are young and or dress with somewhat of a modern style, go with the medium width. 2.75-3' is fine.

5. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Go with 3.5-4'' ties. 2.75-3 is skinny enough to look bad. Skinnier than that looks really bad.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. BullionBro

I went to hermes.com and love the neckties they have. Are those 3.5 inchers?

7. BullionBro

8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

IMO, ties in that range look great. My lapels are generally 2.5in
    I don't know if there's a consistent standard, but I'd say that is on the top end of "skinny"

9. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

You wear skinny lapels and you like skinny ties. You probably like close-fitting suits that are on the trendy side. So we're speaking from different perspectives on style. If you only wear lapels and ties that skinny, I'd say that's in bad taste. I agree 3'' is perfectly fine, but the slimmer limit for me.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I never wear anything above a 3.5", and I don't generally fall below 3", but there are a few exceptions (heavy texture like a wool or a knit demands a fairly narrow tie- my knits are all right around 2"). And I wouldn't tell anyone other than the seriously obese to wear the bibs that are 4" ties. Classic width tops out at around 3.75"- above that is occasionally trendy, but right now, it looks like a relic of the 80's.

11. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Agreed. Mine are almost all 3.5''. I don't wear knits, so I can't comment on those.

12. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Trust your intution go with your first thought...

The clasic tie width in America is 3.75 inches - 3.5 if you are thin. below 3.5 you should be very thin or enjoy a bit of fashion in your style.

Lapels are secondary to your physical size as a guideline to tie width.

I know that many stores sell narrow ties these days but that's fashion not a classic look - which is great if you like fashion or are very thin.

The reality is that most Americans are not thin so thin ties are not the norm in America.

13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...disagree, but like you said, "we're speaking from different perspectivies on style."

14. junkie

junkie New Member

I think it look good :D
    http://usa.hermes.com/man/ties/timeless/heavy-silk/bluered.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hairstyles for fine hair | Short hairstyles for fine hair

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012