Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

skinny jeans with dress shoes...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bsyde82, Apr 8, 2008.

1. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

general thoughts on this combo?

over the the past year, my denim has gotten toward the skinnier spectrum (i.e. finns-leve skinniness). do ppl think skinny denim w/ some stacking is appropriate with dressier shoes such as brogues? i really wanna cop a pair of brogues or those opening ceremony suede laceups but not sure my denim would work with it

also, which skinnier jeans work best? im thinkin my dry finns are too cas (cuz of the yoke/stiching) for dress shoes

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

general thoughts on this combo?

over the the past year, my denim has gotten toward the skinnier spectrum (i.e. finns-leve skinniness). do ppl think skinny denim w/ some stacking is appropriate with dressier shoes such as brogues? i really wanna cop a pair of brogues or those opening ceremony suede laceups but not sure my denim would work with it

also, which skinnier jeans work best? im thinkin my dry finns are too cas (cuz of the yoke/stiching) for dress shoes

It depends what kind of brogues... I think the KMW rocker, ES Kyrre XX or 5EPxSF are pretty good for "dressier" outfits... definitely more so than the TF.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I do it. I've worn my apc cures (7.25" hem) with my ndc laceups. Looks fine to me. I have the grey opening ceremony laceups and i do have trouble with them, mainly because they're a light grey suede and my jeans all seem to look awkward with them. I need to find some slacks for a preppier outfit with them.

4. yjs

yjs New Member

I reckon one in 10 guys can pull it off, and it's a pretty trendwhore thing to do these days... I guess if you have the right body shape and stuff then it might look good.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

We'll find out pretty soon if I'm one of those 10 :/

6. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

I think skinny jeans with dress shoes is an easy match, the things that's more difficult is finding shirts/layers to compliment to keep it looking casual without being to dressy or stuffy. Or that's my problem anyway, I work at a videogame company so if I'm wearing brogues with a button up shirt I better damn well find a way to dress it down or they're going to think I'm getting to big for my britches.

7. hustlenflo22

hustlenflo22 Senior member

I like the look, just have to be careful with shoe length...I already have big feet, so pointed shoes just give a clown effect. I definitely think best color combination is something along the lines of a dark indigo and a strong red-brown

8. SantosLHalper

SantosLHalper Senior member

I do it all the time and have no problems with it. Some may consider it to be a "dressier" look, but almost anything will look dressed up when compared to work boots or chucks. If you're conflicted, I think suede can be a bit more casual than regular leather - my go-to shoes are a pair of distressed suede captoes and a pair of suede Varvatos chukkas.

As far as stacking goes, I have some jeans that I stack and some that are hemmed. I can go either way - I think both look good.

9. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

10. chronoaug

I reckon one in 10 guys can pull it off, and it's a pretty trendwhore thing to do these days... I guess if you have the right body shape and stuff then it might look good.

the fuck does this even mean?

11. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

I do it. I've worn my apc cures (7.25" hem) with my ndc laceups. Looks fine to me. I have the grey opening ceremony laceups and i do have trouble with them, mainly because they're a light grey suede and my jeans all seem to look awkward with them. I need to find some slacks for a preppier outfit with them.

really? hmm i kinda figured the grey would be a pretty versatile color in terms of matching with denim and other pieces, but i haven't seen em in person...

drizz, u mentioned the rockers...which i really wanna get - used to have the 1980s, but i sold em cuz they're not the ideal fit for me, but love the denim of KMWs...u don't think the big back pockets make kicking mules too casual to pair with dressier shoes?

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

drizz, u mentioned the rockers...which i really wanna get - used to have the 1980s, but i sold em cuz they're not the ideal fit for me, but love the denim of KMWs...u don't think the big back pockets make kicking mules too casual to pair with dressier shoes?

I always hear this when ppl talk about nudies and KMWs and I honestly just don't see it. At least where I'm from, ppl don't check out your ass, and then think "fuck, that guy is wearing the wrong shoes, they're way too dressy considering the casualness of his back pockets." Then again, I don't frequent the bar that Eason bartends at...

13. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

If you didn't wear skinny(ish) jeans with dress shoes, what sort of jeans would you wear with dress shoes? Bootcut?

14. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

slim/straight leg

15. chronoaug

really? hmm i kinda figured the grey would be a pretty versatile color in terms of matching with denim and other pieces, but i haven't seen em in person...

I posted a pic in recent purchases a few weeks ago. They're a light grey suede flat soled laceup. I've tried with some of my outfits but i need some different, less casual pieces to work with it i think. I dunno, i still have to play around with them. Or look to some runway/lookbooks to see if i can find some inspiration.