1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skinny guys

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackplatano, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I'm 6'1". Two years ago, I was 125 lbs. After a lot of lifting and a HELL of a lot of eating, I'm now 165 lbs. People still tell me I'm skinny, sometimes, and I guess I am, but I'm happy to be more muscular now. In any case, I'm getting closer to where I want to be. As for *ideals*, that's different for everyone. There's definitely a "skinny aesthetic", and that's fine. Done well, it can look great. There's also the Brad Pitt aesthetic--well-muscled but not big, and cut; there's the Hulk aesthetic; hell, there's even the Alfred Hitchcock silhouette. Whichever one you do, do it with style and fuck all the noise.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I'm skinny, always been skinny, probably always will be skinny. My idols are of this variety, so I'm content with it - it is my ideal (obviously, I wouldn't be accentuating it and wearing slim clothing if it wasn't true).

I think Justin Timberlake is a pretty good bet as far as ideal. He's a skinny guy but still well-toned.

3. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

Good thing, too, as I hurt my wrist in a fall, so weightlifting is right out.
    That's where I'm at right now ... very frustrating, as I actually enjoy lifting.

4. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

If skinny guys are more into clothes, then why in the hell is it so hard for us to find ones that fit?
    that is precisely why skinny guys are into clothes; you must work hard to find clothes that fit, and you end up thinking about it more then you find that you have to either have to go upscale to find clothes that fit you properly or wander into the womens or boys section...

5. Saucemaster

then you find that you have to either have to go upscale to find clothes that fit you properly or wander into the womens or boys section...

What are you, a gay pedophile? [​IMG]

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

wha? no, i fuck gay pedophiles in my neighborhood. [​IMG]

7. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

wha? no, i fuck gay pedophiles in my neighborhood.
    [​IMG]

Word. Streets is watching!

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Right, getting clothes on sale is never going to happen for me since my pants measurments are 30x30. I have to drop $125 on a pair of slacks just to be sure they fit. Finding 14.5-32/33 shirts is no fun either, but made a lot easier thanks to ebay. I've tried getting away with 15 necks, which is usually the smallest the stores carry, but it still doesn't work out. Speaking of shirts on ebay, I am seeing some Banana Republic stuff in my size for pretty reasonable prices. Ranging from 15-25. The listings say retail on these shirts is 98 dollars, is that right?! I've never been to a Banana Republic store, so I can't be for sure, but they sure as shit don't look like they are worth a hundred bucks. I can't decide on whether I want them or not...not like I don't have enough vertical stripes already! Then again, how can I pass something like this up.... [​IMG]

9. Nil

Nil Senior member

You skinny guys have it easy for clothing. Try being 6'4", 220 lbs. with a 10-12" drop from chest to waist. Pants generally aren't that big of a problem (unless they're suit pants, then grr...) but finding shirts and jackets that fit well off the rack are damn near impossible. Finding size 14 shoes isn't really that fun either.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Yeah but you all have entire stores dedicated to you if you are a larger person. We don't have "Short n' Skinny" stores [​IMG]

When I'm in stores, I tend to try to follow Asian guys around. A lot of them are nicely dressed, and share my stature. Still, that didn't work out well, because the ones I've watched never find anything either lol

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of shirts on ebay, I am seeing some Banana Republic stuff in my size for pretty reasonable prices. Ranging from 15-25. The listings say retail on these shirts is 98 dollars, is that right?! I've never been to a Banana Republic store, so I can't be for sure, but they sure as shit don't look like they are worth a hundred bucks. I can't decide on whether I want them or not...not like I don't have enough vertical stripes already!

I'd say the $98 retail price quoted is believable. BR's stuff is overpriced, for what it is, but it quickly gets marked down. Some of the shirts, I believe, do list for $98. But then they end up on the sale rack for $20-$35. Sometimes for less.

I don't buy much there, but sometimes I'll find a gem amid the Amjack. I got a great pair of gloves there last winter, along with a nice scarf, and I have a couple of shirts I like.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'd say the $98 retail price quoted is believable. BR's stuff is overpriced, for what it is, but it quickly gets marked down. Some of the shirts, I believe, do list for $98. But then they end up on the sale rack for $20-$35. Sometimes for less.

I don't buy much there, but sometimes I'll find a gem amid the Amjack. I got a great pair of gloves there last winter, along with a nice scarf, and I have a couple of shirts I like.

I like BR for basics, like polos that don't have any logo, and sometimes chinos, shorts, windbreakers and the like. Their undershirts are nice as well, just don't buy shoes there.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'll try to avoid the American Jackass look if possible, but I have to say the pinks, blues, maroons, and colors in their shirts go great w/ my complexion.

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

Yeah but you all have entire stores dedicated to you if you are a larger person. We don't have "Short n' Skinny" stores [​IMG]

The idea of actually stepping foot into a Big & Tall store makes me involuntarily shudder. Those stores tend to designed for those males who are the more bulbous members of society, not for guys who happen to be of large stature and in shape.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Oh, sorry I didn't know. I figured it catered to not just fat, but people who were big in general.

16. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 Senior member

From Phil's Field Guide to Trolls, Version 5.11

The Contrarian Troll. A sophisticated breed, Contrarian Trolls frequent boards whose predominant opinions are contrary to their own. A forum dominated by those who support firearms and knife rights, for example, will invariably be visited by Contrarian Trolls espousing their beliefs in the benefits of gun control. It is important to distinguish between dissenters and actual Contrarian Trolls, however; the Contrarian is not categorized as a troll because of his or her dissenting opinions, but due to the manner in which he or she behaves:

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number One: The most important indicator of a poster's Contrarian Troll status is his constant use of subtle and not-so-subtle insults, a technique intended to make people angry. Contrarians will resist the urge to be insulting at first, but as their post count increases, they become more and more abusive of those with whom they disagree. Most often they initiate the insults in the course of what has been a civil, if heated, debate to that point.

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number Two: Constant references to the forum membership as monolithic. "You guys are all just [descriptor]." "You're a lynch mob." "You all just want to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you."

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number Three: Intellectual dishonesty. This is only a mild indicator that is not limited to trolls, but Contrarians display it to a high degree. They will lie about things they've said, pull posts out of context in a manner that changes their meanings significantly, and generally ignore any points for which they have no ready answers.

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number Four: Accusing the accusers. When confronted with their trolling, trolls immediately respond that it is the accusers who are trolls (see Natural Predators below). Often the Contrarian will single out his most vocal opponent and claim that while he can respect his other opponents, this one in particular is beneath his notice.

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number Five: Attempts to condescend. Pursued by Troll Bashers (see Natural Predators below), the Contrarian will seek refuge in condescending remarks that repeatedly scorn his or her critics as beneath notice – all the while continuing to respond to them.

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number Six: One distinctive mark of Contrarian Trolls is that every thread in which they dissent quickly devolves into a debate about who is trolling whom. In the course of such a debate the Contrarian will display many of the other Warning Signs mentioned above.

Contrarian warning sign behaviors may be shared by other breeds
    http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/f...detotrolls.htm

[​IMG]

my vote for best post ever.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I prefer to think of myself as wiry rather than skinny.

18. Saucemaster

I prefer to think of myself as wiry rather than skinny.

Yeah, wiry is good. I also like "slim".

19. javyn

javyn Senior member

I don't care about the euphemisms, I just want some well-fitting clothes [​IMG]

20. Kodak

Kodak Active Member

Gaunt is another good synomym but has kind of a negative connotation. I'm around 6'1- 6'2 and about 130 pounds and I'm here to claim my crown.