• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny Asian Syndrome

jez

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So i have a problem right now. I'm looking to buy a suit, but i'm a bit cautious at going bespoke right off the bat as i would be wearing it quite frequently (No rotations) for my part time job. I'm 5'9" (175cm) and weigh around 135~lbs with a size 29/30 waist. I've tried on my ill fitting formal suit from 4 years ago and it fits like a sack at 36R. I know sleeve length isn't much of a problem, but finding 36 ANYWHERE is. I'm looking for a slimmer cut type of brand, so are there any recommendations i would take a look at? STP has barely anything in a 36 as does eBay or even the B&S forum, so i'm really at a loss.

Do i have to go MTM/Bespoke? Usually the suits i tried on today were too wide around the hips/waist so would i be looking for something that fitted at the shoulders and then tailor it with some waist suppression? Sorry for the incoherent ramblings but any advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go online MTM, "get smart" on this forum owns this line: http://www.thickasthievesla.com what will you be using this for? GS's suits are generally a bit retro/casual, but can accomodate a few special requests here and there to make it more business casual. other than that, your best bet is to hit the gym =p

Mustapha

Reaction score
jez,

You are the same profile/size as my 18 year old son. We found a nice navy blue slim fit 2 button single breasted at H & M. They have 36. It looks nice on his 5'9'' 125 lb frame - looks MTMish and and wears well. I think it was about $300.

-Moose

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H & M goes down to 34. You can also buy a boys suit, just get past the stigma. I believe 18 boys = 36 mens?

If you have money to burn, of course MTM

And it's definitely not an Asian problem, I see plenty of 5 ft 5 135 lb white guys at the office. I think they just buy a 38S at Macys and get done with it.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
H & M goes down to 34. You can also buy a boys suit, just get past the stigma. I believe 18 boys = 36 mens?

They boys Jackets are always cut differently than the Mens sizes even where they overlap in certain areas. For example while the coat length may be similar in the 18 or twenty depending on the supplier, you will get a broader shoulder on the 36. Kids dont widen until they are into sufficiently manhood.

And it's definitely not an Asian problem, I see plenty of 5 ft 5 135 lb white guys at the office. I think they just buy a 38S at Macys and get done with it.
[/quote]

No its not an Asian Thing. I had a fellow forumite (albeit more of a lurker than a poster) who was very much not Asian in here the other day who ended up going with a 36S suit.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jez
Hi guys,

So i have a problem right now. I'm looking to buy a suit, but i'm a bit cautious at going bespoke right off the bat as i would be wearing it quite frequently (No rotations) for my part time job. I'm 5'9" (175cm) and weigh around 135~lbs with a size 29/30 waist. I've tried on my ill fitting formal suit from 4 years ago and it fits like a sack at 36R. I know sleeve length isn't much of a problem, but finding 36 ANYWHERE is. I'm looking for a slimmer cut type of brand, so are there any recommendations i would take a look at? STP has barely anything in a 36 as does eBay or even the B&S forum, so i'm really at a loss.

Do i have to go MTM/Bespoke? Usually the suits i tried on today were too wide around the hips/waist so would i be looking for something that fitted at the shoulders and then tailor it with some waist suppression? Sorry for the incoherent ramblings but any advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

You seem very similar to my build so maybe you're a 34 and not a 36?

jez

Reaction score
Yeah on second thoughts i probably am a 34 instead of a 36 as i went to the city malls to try on suits and found that a 88 fit decently well. We don't have a H&M in Sydney so i'm wondering if there are any other brands that are more... well known that could be in Australia as well as the US?

I've shot an email to Get Smart the sexy man as well but i'm wondering if his suits would still be considered too casual even after some pimpin' mods? I don't even know my measurements,
frown.gif

dnvl

Reaction score
I'm basically your exact same dimensions, give or take (5'9", 130lb.), and I'm Asian to boot.

The two suits I have are Dior Homme and Cloak, but I've had good success in terms of fits at United Colors of Benetton, of all places. They have 34s as well, which fit me perfectly (almost a bit snug, which is how I prefer it).

This season they have some great tweed-y jackets with elbow patches that I may end up picking up.

Just my $0.02.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads