• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin colour and clothing

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does your skin colour play into your choice of clothing colours?

I'm dark-skinned with black hair, so I avoid bright colors like yellows, oranges, etc. which create an excessively high-contrast look. Sometimes I see nice brightly coloured ties, but it's almost distracting to see someone of my skin tone wearing such a bright article of clothing.

Conversely, I know a guy who's a pale white with bright orange hair, I have to squint just to look at the guy. The only thing that doesn't look messed up on him is brightly colored ties and white or very pale blue shirts and light colored pants.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Yeah skin tone matters, so do eyes and hair. I don't stick to specific rules i just try colors on T shirts with low risk. American apparel is awesome for that. With them you can find any colors that work or don't.

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me contrast is a good thing. I have a mid-toned skin color, and I need to avoid nude/tan color shirts and sweaters as it looks odd on me.

Stavros

Reaction score
It all depends on one's level of "face contrast". Given that clothes need only frame, and guide the gaze towards, the face:

A high-contrast face (e.g. dark hair, fair skin) should be framed by bold, high-contrast colors, that will highlight its bold, sharp chromatic "angles".

A low-contrast face (e.g. light hair/fair skin, dark hair/dark skin) would be overshadowed by high-contrast clothes; more subtle and "blunt" color combinations should be followed.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't pay attention to my skin tone when I buy clothes, but I'm Indian with medium-dark skin but I find most colours suit me apart from really close-to-skin-tone browns.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
I recall hearing that Obama's skin tone looked really good with blue ties, which is why he favored them. I've also heard that pretty much every color is a bad one for me at one time or another. I therefore officially give up.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Using skin tone to pick out your wardrobe is of UTMOST IMPORTANCE.

Using the 'season' method, its pretty hard to pinpoint exactly what you are.

For me, its trial and error.

Hope its ok to link to Andy's:

Which Season Are you?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a few colors that give me a washed out look, so I avoid them.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where you wear the clothing on your body matters as well.

There are many colors I would wear in casual trousers or shoes that I would not want on my shirt collar or otherwise framing my face.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really thought I was going to see a link to more Steve Harvey suits and crocodile-eye-shoes.

entasis

Reaction score
The "seasonal" color system freefinancialadvice refers to was very popular in the early 80's when a book titled COLOR ME BEAUTIFUL came out. A colleague of mine was a bookkeeper for the firm at the time and swears by it. I believe colors are important but am not fully convinced by that system.

contaygious

Reaction score
This is a good guide:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/H...e%20Colors.htm

Remember that it is just a guide though. For instance, it says I shouldn't wear dark brown because I have pale skin and blond hair, but I have still found some perticular items that look good I think. There is still quite a a bit of variety to be found within the dark brown category.

Thanks freefinancialadvice for that other guide! I somehow missed that one on the site. It is nice to have samples of colors to look at.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too much, I did notice that I tend to look very pale skinned when I wear too muc orange like a shirt or sweater or something.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Olive and British tan look awful on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads