• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin care! Regarding blackheads on the nose.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have an unusually large amount of blackheads on my nose. So, I used pore strips once a week for a while, and they got worse! It'd look clear for a few days but would eventually revert to normal. The blackheads got finer and more numerous. Any suggestions on what to do? Anything from some mircale cream to spa treatment is fine... Any ideas on what to do about this?

sweep

Reaction score
Try some salicylic acid, also know as beta-hydroxy acid. Go to the drugstore and there's a ton of products with this ingredient. Try it for a few months, and if that doesn't work, go see a dermatologist for a script for a retinoid.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can try masking with a clay masque/mask once a week
anthony logistics, baxter of california, kiehl's all make a deep cleaning clay mask

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use a wash with BHA(Beta hydroxy acid/glycolic acid), as it is an oil-soluble acid that is great at cleaning out your pores. Something with 2-5% should be fine. If you decide to get an BHA cream, avoid using it in the day. I would recommend this product. Ive been using it for years.

http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.ph...e2614.05612192

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Just dab your nose throughout the day with a wet paper towel (like everytime you go to the bathroom). That will help with the oil buildup.

I second the clay mask, only need to use it on your nose. Cheap drugstore brand is fine as long as it doesn't have oil in the ingredients list (like queen helene mint julep mask).

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After browsing some cosmetics-oriented forums with the same passion Ttat I look through SF with everday, the treatment I've decided on is this:

Mix 1 part castor oil with 1 part olive oil.
Put your face over steaming water for a few minutes to open pores
Rub said mixture all over your nose
Scrub with a fine cloth
Rinse with cold water and tone with witch hazel.

I'm actually using a different toner that removes castor oil, and also contains witch hazel. So far everythings looking good, pore size has reduced after 3 uses and blackheads are mostly gone. I might try a cream but at this rate I won't need to - the ingredients cost me $5 to buy and all I had to do was go down to the nearest health/natural/organic food store.

For those wondering- what I'm doing is supposed to cleanse pores and remove oil at the same time, and the toner prevents future blackheads from forming.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think you're fighting a never ending battle.

I have the same problem you mention here. I use Retin-A daily along with a seaweed witch hazel toner morning and evening. I also use an AHA cleanser probably twice a week. I still have to fight this battle almost daily.

About the only thing that has worked for me is to use a good scrub and follow it up with a seaweed clay mask. I follow this up with my regular toner and then finish this off with the Retin-A. I only do this twice a week (not days where I use the AHA cleanser).
This keeps me blackhead-free for about 2-3 days. After that 3rd day I'm back to another scrub and clay mask. During winter months I only need to do this maybe once a week.

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Just dab your nose throughout the day with a wet paper towel (like everytime you go to the bathroom). That will help with the oil buildup.
I used to do this but have found that using a dry facial tissue or a couple squares of t.p. is better for dabbing the nose for oil. When using a wet paper towel, I found that I would break out more often; I suspect because the wet paper towel spread the oil across the surface of my nose and absorbed less oil. As for pore strips, like Biore, don't use those too often (maybe once or twice a month), and use them at night before going to bed and use a very light moisturizer afterward to stop your skin from getting irritated.

egoiste

Reaction score
Same problem as you. Here's what I do to make the pores smaller and less oilier.

(1) Using an astringent -- only on oily areas of the face, otherwise excess oil will be created by the skin. This will cleanse skin, remove excess oil and make pores appear smaller.

(2) Facial scrub -- Use specifically on the nose area (as well as areas that have many blackheads and pores), but gently massage, do not scrub hard. This will rid of oil, dull skin.

(3) Clay mask -- This will make your pores appear smaller, remove excess oil and tighten your face. Use on specific problem areas or whole face.

(4) BHA/AHA products -- I use salylic acid which helps a lot.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i am alergic to saliclylic acid...

i was glancing through cosmo or some other womens interest magazine (mostly because eva longoria was on the cover) once at the doctors office, as i was skimming I stumbled upon a quick snippit which mentioned using toothpaste. It sounds strange i know, but it works for me. You just put a SMALL ammount on the area in question, sleep on it, rinse and voila!

also, according to my dermatologist astringent just oxygenates your pores. It will 'tingle' and feel like its working when it really isn't doing much of anything at all.

robbie

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
i am alergic to saliclylic acid...

i was glancing through cosmo or some other womens interest magazine (mostly because eva longoria was on the cover) once at the doctors office, as i was skimming I stumbled upon a quick snippit which mentioned using toothpaste. It sounds strange i know, but it works for me. You just put a SMALL ammount on the area in question, sleep on it, rinse and voila!

also, according to my dermatologist astringent just oxygenates your pores. It will 'tingle' and feel like its working when it really isn't doing much of anything at all.

robbie

I've read that the toothpaste (paste, not gel) works because it sucks the moisture out of the area in question, thus drying out potential zits. I've tried it and it works maybe 50% of the time.
Also, Eva Longoria is hot.

egoiste

Reaction score
My friend used one of her friend's advice (putting a dab of toothpaste on pimples to reduce the redness and size) a day prior to taking high school ID photos and the next morning, she came to school with several red dots on her face covered badly with foundation. Poor girl.

I tried the toothpaste method twice and it didn't do much and one time it actually made my pimples worse (maybe linked to the fragrance and other ingredients in the toothpaste, allergic reaction perhaps).

I now know to use a clay mask and not toothpaste to reduce the size, redness of my pimples and to prevent future pimples as it dries out excess oil.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads