• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skiing gear

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
I want to look fashionable when I go sky this next winter, and I think this is the best time to shop for sky clothes (summer).

I hear The North Face is a good brand. Any recommendations on what I should buy?

I wanna be the best dressed skier in the mountains this winter!

erk

Reaction score

I want to look fashionable when I go sky this next winter, and I think this is the best time to shop for sky clothes (summer).

I hear The North Face is a good brand. Any recommendations on what I should buy?

I wanna be the best dressed skier in the mountains this winter!

Do you mean Skyer?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he meant skiing. Even I am interested, since I intnd to visit the Alps this winter and maybe learn skiing but have zero suitable clothes for it

Unregistered

Reaction score
ski_suit_640.jpg

Yachting Man

Reaction score
One of the best options for ski clothes is Spyder. I've been using their products for about six or seven years now and I'm very happy with my purchases.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spyder is great ski gear. There are a ton of other brands. Get something that will keep you very warm as well as look good. Filson makes a great woolen sweater. It is one of the best I have ever worn. Its not really a ski sweater but you can get it in navy and it has a very nice profile.

Pembers

Reaction score
As a qualified ski instructor, can I advise (beg!) you not to buy anything expensive for your first trip. You might hate it after your first day, and in any case there's nothing worse than that guy with £300 reflective-looking goggles (he's usually English, unfortunately); who at the beginning of the week doesn't stop talking about the specifications of his new fischers and the "anti-avalanche technology" of his expensive jacket, then turns out to be a complete spaz.

Don't bother with hard or soft shells - just an insulated jacket and trousers, layered underneath if the weather requires with ordinary t-shirts, hoodies, etc. Bear in mind that the guys who actually look best on the slopes are the French grandads wearing 3/4 length puffer jackets, who ski like gods. Not the guys wearing spyder.

Most importantly have fun - skiing is the best thing in the world. :)

Last edited:

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a qualified ski instructor, can I advise (beg!) you not to buy anything expensive for your first trip. You might hate it after your first day, and in any case there's nothing worse than that guy with £300 reflective-looking goggles (he's usually English, unfortunately); who at the beginning of the week doesn't stop talking about the specifications of his new fischers and the "anti-avalanche technology" of his expensive jacket, then turns out to be a complete spaz.

Don't bother with hard or soft shells - just an insulated jacket and trousers, layered underneath if the weather requires with ordinary t-shirts, hoodies, etc. Bear in mind that the guys who actually look best on the slopes are the French grandads wearing 3/4 length puffer jackets, who ski like gods. Not the guys wearing spyder.

Most importantly have fun - skiing is the best thing in the world. :)

They ski in the UK?

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heed pembers advice. Nothing screams poseur louder than someone kitted out in the top gear and who can barely snowplow.

Some folks are partial to the matching top and bottom suit, say from Bogner. I don't like that look too much on men. Plus, I like to maximize the use of my clothes, and a dedicated ski suit doesn't allow that. My wife has a really nice one that flatters her from Belfe & Belfe, and I recall it makes guy's gear too.

I like mixing it up w/ a thermal top, a white (looks best w/ my tan) cotton polar, a Dale sweater w/ the windstopper lining, and a goretex outer shelll. For pants a thermal layer, then fleece, topped by a goretex shell.

If you're looking for some cool vintage sweaters look for Obermeyer, Roffe and Demetre. I'd like to find the Mother Karen's powder jacket I had when I was a kid.

Last edited:

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Most importantly have fun - skiing is the best thing in the world.
smile.gif
Agreed, just come wearing some sort of waterproof pants/jacket and wool (can't stress this enough, cotton is not your friend here) socks. Truth be told, when you're falling all over yourself the first couple of days, you are definitely not going to want to be wearing anything that would make people look in your direction

As for The North Face, it's generally overpriced garbage. The Summit and Cryptic Series are good (and usually half again more than the competition unless you're looking into expensive ass progear) but most of the rest isn't worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads