• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skateboards

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good introductory skateboard? My oldest is looking for one for christmas and the last board I was on was made of wood with composition wheels.

jkennett

Reaction score
A decent skateboard should cost about a $100-120. I'd go to the local shop in your area to get the board. You can ask them about local skate parks for your son to skate while you're there. As far as the "cool" brands at the moment, I am a bit clueless. I've seen a good bit of the younger kids riding on Zero and Baker, but I'm not sure if those brands are old news already. Independent trucks have always been a good bet. If a local shop is not possible I'd get it from someplace like ccs i guess...

On second thought, how old is your son? If he's too young to be brand-conscious maybe you could just get the generic boards the the local shops sometimes purchase and have painted with their own graphics. That'd save you some cash, and it'd still be a good board. CCS has their own brand of complete decks that run for about $65. and would be solid enough for your son to get a taste of the sport, without you committing too much dinero. I'll add that in as the second link. Local skateboard shops probably have similar deals. Avoid buying a skateboard from a big box store as you'd be buying a toy instead of an actual piece of sporting equipment. Good luck and good job on doing research for your son's gift.

http://shop.ccs.com/findKitSlotItems...DECK&start=yes

http://shop.ccs.com/browseBrands.do?...D=6&brand=0089

flashback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Can anyone recommend a good introductory skateboard? My oldest is looking for one for christmas and the last board I was on was made of wood with composition wheels.

go to a B&M store and talk to the people. they'll help you out and get you something cool that your son will like ( I assume thats important to you ).

I have been skating for almost 20 years now and when I buy a new board I get a blank deck & wheels (cheap, but a child will probably want branding / art that these don't offer). I get Venture or Independent trucks, and the one thing I splurge on is Bones Swiss bearings.

KBW

Reaction score
I agree with flashback...go to the shop and just ask some questions and go from there...that ccs website is very good though

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in grade school and wanted my first board my mom made the mistake of thinking she could go to Toys-R-Us and one of those things. Big mistake - they are basically junk and I caught **** from my friends with "real" boards from Vision, Santa Cruz, and Powell Peralta.

Go to a SKATE SHOP, even if it's just WaveDancers at the mall. Most skate shops don't sell (absolute) garbage. While most of the boards will be in pieces (decks, wheels, trucks, all sold separately) most shops will assemble a few boards, especially around this time of year, to make it easier for parents to buy them. This assembled boards are usually sold at a discount too.

I would agree with JKennett too - CSS is a good starter board and a bit less (minus shipping) than most brands.

kever

Reaction score
This is a bit redundant, but I'd agree with the above posters. Go talk to the people at a skate shop. I like independent trucks and have been happy enough with cheap bones reds bearings. The rest the skate shop should be able to help you out with. I wish my parents bought me a board when I was a kid...

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gents for the info. I called around and everyone seems to agree on Independent trucks and Bones wheels and bearings. I'm not so worried about brands rather than quality components and I don't think the kid is either as long as the graphics are reasonably cool. One more question, is it worth while to have the small riser on the back? (seen 'em but don't know what they're called) or is a flat deck okay.

deputamadre

Reaction score
Flat deck is fine. Risers aren't really that commonly used. Independent trucks are pretty popular and eternally cool, but heavier than the average brand. Deck...just ask at a skateshop or pick out a cool looking graphic. You can always order a complete deck from an online shop.
http://shop.ccs.com/browse.do?catego...kate.completes

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Thanks Gents for the info. I called around and everyone seems to agree on Independent trucks and Bones wheels and bearings. I'm not so worried about brands rather than quality components and I don't think the kid is either as long as the graphics are reasonably cool. One more question, is it worth while to have the small riser on the back? (seen 'em but don't know what they're called) or is a flat deck okay.

By the way you said that it sounds like you mean riser as in the tail of the deck is curved up. If thats the case then the front and back should be curved up if its a regular skateboard you're looking into. If you actually mean a riser, which is something that goes in between the trucks and the deck, then you might want a thin rubber shock pad in between each truck. Again, the guys at a skate shop, or CCS should be able to help you out with what you need.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I had the most kick-ass Tommy Guerrero board. It had, I now realize, the most wicked beautiful rose design on it. That was...let's see, I sold it as a freshman in hs in fall 1985.

If I had it now, I'd hang it on my wall as art. I never could skate worth a ****.

b

east hastings

Reaction score
To the above who said Bone Swiss bearings, it depends on how serious the kid is about skating. To alot of my friends in grade school, skating was simply a faze which they outgrew, which would not warrent spending the extra money on BS bearings.

Also, in my experience, it depends on what kind of kids your son will be skating with. If they're all starting out, then you can be safe to go with a well known brand for all the components, because at a certain point, it doesn't really matter. But, if your son is planning on skating with 'real' skaters who will make him feel extremely brand conscious (in the sense that they might say his deck and trucks etc are 'corporate') and be dicks about his gear, it'd be better to buy accordingly. Just my two cents, though

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the shop today- thanks for the info! Indep trucks, bones wheels and "red" bearings, mid-size xtm deck ( he liked the graphics). The shop guy said it'd be better to use the smaller diameter wheels to start with so that's what we went with. The way I see it , since he has four younger sibs, it'll be well used so it's good to get better quality components.
I also saw a nice road board (big deck and wheels- had some surfboard designer's name on it) Seemed suitable for an older guy. Dammed pricey though. Made me want to pull the old board out of storage- may do just that this spring. It's not suited for tricks-and neither am I (it must weigh 15-20 lbs and is about 3 feet long) but it'll work for keeping the kid company on the street.
smile.gif

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bringing this back from the dead but has anyone used CCS brand boards? i am thinking of buying a complete deck from them but i am a n00b so i need some help.

any good skateboarding forums i can go ask?

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah they are a good board if you are starting out, i was thinking about getting a bamboo one but i have to many right now. I have ridden their regular board it, it had decent pop to it but if you are starting out it's perfect and priced cheap too

i used to post on skaterscafe they have a good following, just got bored talking about it haha

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about their trunks and wheels,etc?
you can pretty much get a complete CCS brand board from them for like 70 bucks shipped!

the cheapest i think can i get at my local store is ~120.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads