• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing on this shirt

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I am a bit confused. In this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EWN%3AIT&rd=1), the seller lists the item as "14 1/2 x 29 1/2". I'm having trouble figuring out what the 29.5" refers to...surely not sleeve length? I've never seen anything shorter than a 32/33 on a shirt.

Could it be referring to the length of the shirt (collar to hem)?

aportnoy had his theory on this, which is probably correct, but I'd like to see some other thoughts.

JCM

Reaction score
Could it be the sleeve taken from another starting point (ie not center back)?

Duveen

Reaction score
37 = 14.5 --> it is the European neck size.

41 = 16 neck.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
37 = 14.5 --> it is the European neck size.

41 = 16 neck.

What duveen said. This is a common mistake.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Actually, it possibly could be sleeve length doubled, or from cuff to cuff. The ad and accompanying picture give a 37cm sleeve length, and off the top of my head (suppose I could look it up but I'm lazy) I think 29 1/2" is just a tad over 74 (37x2) cm. It strikes me as quite short to be the collar-to-hem measurement, but that's obviously a possibility, too.

I ran some measurements on one of my better-fitting FC shirts. The length from where the shoulder seam (at least I think it's the shoulder seam) meets the base of the collar to the cuff is 29.25". So maybe that is the measurement they're referring to. I sure hope so, lol.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether the seller is measuring from the shoulder seam or the shirt has been altered, the only way is to ask the seller. Fire off an email.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads