• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing of Peal & Co Shoes

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I am a new member and need your insights.

I recently bought a pair of Medallion Perforated Cap Toe Peals (Alfred Sargents). These shoes are in size 8 and fit me fine. But they do look noticeably shorter in length than my size 8 C&J for Polo ('Benton' OXFORDS SHOES) that I got from Grapevinehill, which also fit me fine.

Can any other member kindly help me understand the apparent anomaly? I was thinking of returning my Peals and getting 1/2 size bigger.

Thanks for your advice.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoes "fit you fine," why on earth do you want to return them?

Often shoes in the same size from the same maker will look and be longer or shorter depending on the last used and the styling of the shoe. I just compared my A-E Fairgates (#1 last) and Park Avenues (#5 last). Both are plain captoe designs, although one is a bal and one is a blucher. The Fairgate has a much blunter toe than the Park Avenue. Not only does it looker shorter, but it actually is about a quarter-inch shorter than the PA, yet both are a good fit on my feet, and both are in my normal size.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you go ½ size up, the shoe will be bigger in every dimension. It will not only be longer but also wider (from left to right as well as top to bottom).

A shoe of size 8 (or whatever size) is supposed to fit a foot of a certain length. Additional to the length of the foot there is the toe-space (which is needed for comfort). A shoe with a pointed toe will be longer all over, than another shoe with a square or rounded toe. But both designs will fit the same foot.

The overall-length is a question of design and the designer"˜s choices, not of fit. Fit is one thing; you liking or disliking a particular design, is another thing.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Sorry, seems my question was not clear. Both the Polo Benton ad the Peal Shoe are size 8D and both fit me fine. However, the Peals are a good 1/2 inch shorter than the Polos. Is it normal to have that kind of a length variation in shoes of the same size?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poshak Man
Sorry, seems my question was not clear. Both the Polo Benton ad the Peal Shoe are size 8D and both fit me fine. However, the Peals are a good 1/2 inch shorter than the Polos. Is it normal to have that kind of a length variation in shoes of the same size?

yup, that's normal. what matters is the fit on the inside.

did you measure the length on the inside or the outside?

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I measured the length from outside.

And many thanks to all the members for their patience in educating a new member.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poshak Man
I measured the length from outside.

That's very variable. Especially since some shoes have an extended welt/sole and extended heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads