• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sizing help please, on SDA 103

Chien

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
80
Reaction score
1
Hi guys, im wearing size 30 (74cm on bear's sizing chart) for my Eternals x bear, its a one wash so it didnt require any soaking and was a little tight at first, but now its stretched till its comfortable juz the way i like it.

Now im looking to buy a pair of SDA 103, but dont know which size should i go for as its raw? Im thinking of getting the size 28 but size 28 is 72cm, so im not sure if it will be too tight for me to get into after the soak though.

Any one can shed some light here please?
 

digital_denim

Big Lose
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
531
Reaction score
0
The measurements on Bears are expected shrinkage after a wash/soak. So i think it's hard to say. Lots of different experiences in the sizing of SD. Some say go true to size. The next pair I get would be one size down. But if you can fit a pair of Eternals with 30, i would say 28 would be tight and 29 would work less painfully.
 

Chien

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
80
Reaction score
1
actually which is more accurate? the sizing chart on studio dartisan webby, or the sizing chart that is provided in bears webby?
i realised the difference is at least 2cm in both webby.
Hmmm
Should i get the one wash in 29.. or raw 28 and play with the shrinkin factor?
 

digital_denim

Big Lose
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
531
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Chien
actually which is more accurate? the sizing chart on studio dartisan webby, or the sizing chart that is provided in bears webby?
i realised the difference is at least 2cm in both webby.
Hmmm
Should i get the one wash in 29.. or raw 28 and play with the shrinkin factor?

personally, i like the control with the raw. Cause with the one wash if they're too small you're screwed. Well, I would order from BIG and then not worry about sizing issues because you can always exchange them.
But yes go with the raw.
 

mizanation

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
927
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by digital_denim
personally, i like the control with the raw. Cause with the one wash if they're too small you're screwed. Well, I would order from BIG and then not worry about sizing issues because you can always exchange them.
But yes go with the raw.


yeah, if you get them raw, you can control how much you shrink them. short cold soak will shrink for a little shrink. a long hot soak for a lot of shrink.
 

Chien

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
80
Reaction score
1
but wont they shrink further on ur next soak/wash as this first short cold soak wont fully shrink them to the max point right?
 

horriblyjollyjinx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
181
Reaction score
0
there is no way that anyone can ever tell you what size to get. They shrink to tagged size, after that you can figure it out for yourself.
 

mizanation

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
927
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Chien
but wont they shrink further on ur next soak/wash as this first short cold soak wont fully shrink them to the max point right?

yes.
 

himatey

Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Is the rise on the 103 the same as that on the Edwin ED47, which is waay to shallow...

mmm and also is the general concensus on these is to get your waist size?

cheers
 

swooc

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
254
Reaction score
111
so is the sizing chart in bears website sizes of one wash? Also what is the length of the one washes?
 

digital_denim

Big Lose
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
531
Reaction score
0
They have a disclaimer that the measurements are what is expected after a wash. So it applies to one wash, but also what to expect the shrinkage on a raw would be. Best bet, Call/email BIG and get a real measurement from Gordon. That way you'll know what you're getting in the raw state.
 

swooc

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
254
Reaction score
111
Im after the one wash anyway so im not concerned with the sizings for raw. But does anyone know what the length is for a pair of w32 one wash?

edit: actually dont worry i just read further to the right on the sizing chart :p. Im still not sure which waist to get though. I bought a pair of sc47s one wash in a 32 and they were a perfect fit. Anyone who has both the 47s and 103s want to comment on whether to size up or down?
 

moykky

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2006
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by swooc
Im after the one wash anyway so im not concerned with the sizings for raw. But does anyone know what the length is for a pair of w32 one wash?

edit: actually dont worry i just read further to the right on the sizing chart :p. Im still not sure which waist to get though. I bought a pair of sc47s one wash in a 32 and they were a perfect fit. Anyone who has both the 47s and 103s want to comment on whether to size up or down?


You have the edwin 47s that are perfect fit. Measure them, waist, rise, thigh, whatever and make your decision with that information. They are both 501 repros.

I have size 29 edwin nashvilles (I think they are the same as ed47s but made in japan) that are a good (quite tight, difficult to button up after wash) fit. Straight out of washing machine (after they are dry...) they measure about the same in waist that sd-103 in size 32 (sda website chart, haven't looked bears). Edwins have a little bit higher rise and skinnier leg opening.

I ordered my pair (don't have them yet
) based on above measurements. I took the size 32. I'm usually size 30 or 29 (185cm and 70kg) but I had to trust the measurements...

Make your mind... walk on the wild side...
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
426,095
Messages
9,165,391
Members
192,531
Latest member
mnhoward

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top