• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing down denim

modual

Reaction score
We get all these sizing threads about denim sizing and I wanted to know what denim people have sized down on and either been successful or wished they hadnt after shrinkage etc. Heres mine :

Apc new standard : sized down 2 and they crush my nuts. Next pair i get will be 1 size down for a slim but looseish fit
Nudie RRDS : Sized down 1 and they are a perfect fit not too baggy or tight just right.
5ep LDB resin : Sized down 1 again perfect fit.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i size down one in almost everything now. i'm a 30. samurais, apc. i am a 30 in nudies and prps though

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
Apc new standard : sized down 2 and they crush my nuts. Next pair i get will be 1 size down for a slim but looseish fit

How low do you wear them? The rise on those New Standards is longer than the rise on your Ralfs, for example, so it's a little weird that the APCs would be nutcrushers (when sized down two) if the Ralfs aren't (when sized down one).

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I size down 2, 3 in regular to regular-slim fit denim. 1-2 in slim

I can't even button the top 2 buttons on these jeans until I do the following; cold soak (2 minutes) Tumble dry (18 minutes) then manually stretch to where I can just get the jean on(painfully), then put the jean on damp and wear for an hour. It helps if you lie down and suck in your tummy while tugging them on. After the hour is up, I take the jeans off to stop the stretching(otherwise they'll literally stretch to loose/relaxed) and then air dry naturally.
This entire process can stretch the waistband 2-2.5 inches on any pair of denim. the trick is dampness.

I have this **** down to a science. ******** up my 5eps because I wore them till dry, resulting in 3-4 inch stretch.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
How low do you wear them? The rise on those New Standards is longer than the rise on your Ralfs, for example, so it's a little weird that the APCs would be nutcrushers (when sized down two) if the Ralfs aren't (when sized down one).

Sauce, the back rise on my Ralfs is about an inch longer than the Ns which makes all the difference. I wear them both about 2.5" below my navel on my hips. I think having a generous backside means i need a bit more room in the back. Hope that makes sense.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I size down 2, 3 in regular to regular-slim fit denim. 1-2 in slim

I can't even button the top 2 buttons on these jeans until I do the following; cold soak (2 minutes) Tumble dry (18 minutes) then manually stretch to where I can just get the jean on(painfully), then put the jean on damp and wear for an hour. It helps if you lie down and suck in your tummy while tugging them on. After the hour is up, I take the jeans off to stop the stretching(otherwise they'll literally stretch to loose/relaxed) and then air dry naturally.
This entire process can stretch the waistband 2-2.5 inches on any pair of denim. the trick is dampness.

I have this **** down to a science. ******** up my 5eps because I wore them till dry, resulting in 4 inch stretch.

That all sounds completely ridiculous even to me.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea man, it's silly even to me. My girlfriend laughs whenever I get a new pair of denim because of all this crap. Jeans are supposed to be put on and go clothes.

On the other hand, the above process results in a waistband that fits snug but won't stretch much past that, jeans that are appropriately more modernly slim (I'm a larger size and the leg widths on my true size(-1) jeans are WIDE) and jeans that overall fit better. The trick is to not let anyone know you're doing all that ****.

I can comfortably tuck in any shirt I want and I never have to wear a belt(though I always do)

I rarely size down 3 unless the jean is a half an inch in between sizes. And by "size down" I mean waist size maesurements. as a 34 I regularly buy 32 waist banded jeans. Even if the aforementioned jeans are tagged 33. It's all measurements, and generally you can tack on 2-3 inches to the band without a problem. In the long run, even without all this crap all your jeans will eventually stretch 2-3 inches so you might as well account for the future.

Final clarification. I shrink all jeans in the dryer before measuring. IE: I am a 34 at my hip. A size 32 jean measures 34 before shrinking(raw) . I shrink to a 32, then stretch back to 34.

It is not: size 30 measures 32, I am a 34. I don't shrink 32-> 30 then stretch to ->34

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
Sauce, the back rise on my Ralfs is about an inch longer than the Ns which makes all the difference. I wear them both about 2.5" below my navel on my hips. I think having a generous backside means i need a bit more room in the back. Hope that makes sense.

Hmm... I guess I need to check my Ralfs against my New Standards. I always assumed the back rise on the New Standards was about the same, if not slightly longer, than the back rise on the Ralfs, like the front rise.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper

Final clarification. I shrink all jeans in the dryer before measuring. IE: I am a 34 at my hip. A size 32 jean measures 34 before shrinking(raw) . I shrink to a 32, then stretch back to 34.

It is not: size 30 measures 32, I am a 34. I don't shrink 32-> 30 then stretch to ->34

I dont get this. If you are 34" at the hip and your tagged 32" jeans measure 34" why do you need to shrink them then stretch them back out again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads