• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sized by AE.. strange creasing. Help?

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: The question is not whether I should expect creasing, it is if the creasing that runs down the brouging is normal.

So I was sized for these AE at the store and frankly they felt comfortable on... Today is the first real day of wear and they seem to be creasing across the cap (the light highlight on the broguing) which leads me to believe they might be too small however the next half size up felt much too long for the width of my foot... here is a picture of my foot bending (slightly accentuated for illustration).

What should I do?

Last edited:

atoms

Reaction score
Photos can be very misleading so take what I say with a grain of salt. Are you wearing heavier socks than you wore when you tried them on? The gap at the laces seems unusually wide for a closed lace shoe. Also, if those are your pinky toes jutting out from the bottom and top of the photo then I think you were sized incorrectly regardless of length. It looks uncomfortable.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Photos can be very misleading so take what I say with a grain of salt. Are you wearing heavier socks than you wore when you tried them on? The gap at the laces seems unusually wide for a closed lace shoe. Also, if those are your pinky toes jutting out from the bottom and top of the photo then I think you were sized incorrectly regardless of length. It looks uncomfortable.
Any idea what I need to change in sizing? I have tried a 1/2 size larger, same width that felt too large, I have a pair of 1/2 size up with a slightly slimmer fit that is uncomfortable... These are actually more comfortable but I don't like the creasing. Edit: more pics Standing crease

Last edited:

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
I think atoms was suggesting they are too narrow. Perhaps by a lot. If your pinkie toes are making a significant impression on nearly new shoes, that suggest way too narrow. Don't wear the shoes anymore. Go back to AE and take advantage of their outstanding customer service.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
use a pen something that's firm, bent and set in the creases? do they 'fit'?

I am not sure I follow
Perhaps that last just doesn't work for your feet.

That would be very disappointing but possible... Then I have two nearly new AE shoes I'll have to unload!

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The creases don't look that bad to me. Heck, when standing it looks like the shoes have shoe trees in them. They seem a tad narrow though. Are they really comfortable?

dks202

Reaction score

use a pen something that's firm, bent and set in the creases?  do they 'fit'?

Huh???

They look a little narrow but creases are normal, they will crease and wrinkle.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Were you by any chance sitting at a Christmas dinner table, emjoying the festivities and unconciously bending the shoes while you sat? Creasing is to be expected but excessive creasing comes from the behaviour of the wearer. Think back to what exactly were your activities while wearing the shoes. I used to have a habit many years ago of tucking my feet under my chair when I sat at my desk or a restuarant table and this caused massive creasing just like on your shoes. It is amazing how fast and deeply leather can crease when subjected to extreme wear. Many people do this and they are not even aware they are doing it. Then they blame the shoe instead of considering their own movements. It is also difficult for many people to accept they may have caused the problem themselves. Only you will know for sure.
Two other contrbuting factors that come to my mind are:
2) Were these factory seconds? If so, you would have to also accept this creasing or any other defects that come from discounted product.
3) Are the shoes too long for your feet? Where does your toes end in the shoes? If the shoes are too long, there will also be irregular creasing and again, be the wearers fault.

Leather, (for the sake of learning lurkers) being the skin of an animal, will develop their character as you use it. This is part of the charm of leather. Once this character is developed it will settle down. Are you using shoe trees? Hopefully you are not wearing the shoes 2 days in a row either as they should rest a minimum of 24 hrs between wearings.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Were you by any chance sitting at a Christmas dinner table, emjoying the festivities and unconciously bending the shoes while you sat? Creasing is to be expected but excessive creasing comes from the behaviour of the wearer. Think back to what exactly were your activities while wearing the shoes. I used to have a habit many years ago of tucking my feet under my chair when I sat at my desk or a restuarant table and this caused massive creasing just like on your shoes. It is amazing how fast and deeply leather can crease when subjected to extreme wear. Many people do this and they are not even aware they are doing it. Then they blame the shoe instead of considering their own movements. It is also difficult for many people to accept they may have caused the problem themselves. Only you will know for sure.
Two other contrbuting factors that come to my mind are:
2) Were these factory seconds? If so, you would have to also accept this creasing or any other defects that come from discounted product.
3) Are the shoes too long for your feet? Where does your toes end in the shoes? If the shoes are too long, there will also be irregular creasing and again, be the wearers fault.
Leather, (for the sake of learning lurkers) being the skin of an animal, will develop their character as you use it. This is part of the charm of leather. Once this character is developed it will settle down. Are you using shoe trees? Hopefully you are not wearing the shoes 2 days in a row either as they should rest a minimum of 24 hrs between wearings.

I suppose I should clear this up. I am expecting creasing, it is a normal part of the wear. My question is whether creasing through the middle of the brouging is normal/acceptable or whether I should look for a different fit. I have some captoes and there is no creasing on the cap and I like that.

1. The creasing in the images was for show only, to illustrate the wear they will develop eventually and to show the crease through the center of the brouging.
2. These are firsts from the AE stand alone store
3. Too long? I don't think so but the point of the thread is to see if they were mis-sized at the store. I am relatively new to decent shoes and don't want to simply accept that my $325 shoes crease there if they shouldn't be. This is the first day of wear.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
btw, they do look too big from the flexing picture. how are they fitting underneath your arch?

have you tried half or one size down and double width up? i.e., from, say, 10D to 9.5E or 9.5EE?

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure they are too big, using the Brannik device I measured at a 10D but these are a 9-1/2D since I had a 10D in the fifth aves and they felt too long, my ball was hitting behind the widest point of the shoe.

I am going into the store tomorrow to be measured by the manager. I will be sure to post results. Thanks for all the replies

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads