• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size of pants leg at the ankle

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

A matter of proportion.

I got some pants, dress trousers with small pleats (I like pleats sometimes).  They have a straight leg.  The measure at the ankle is 19 to 19.5 and they just don't look good.

Other pants of 50 or 60 years ago look good with this measure because they are deeply pleated to taper from the full thigh.

But the contemporary pants just look trad in a bad way.  How much to taper?  Other pants have legs as narrow as 16.

Proportion-wise, I'm 5'8'', basically a 40R with a 34 inch waist.  My shoe size, 8.5, is not very large.

Weigh in.

bch

Reaction score
We're the same height. I have some trousers that are as large as 19.5" at the cuff, which I have been meaning to have tapered when I have the time. Ideally, I like 18". Anything substantially narrower looks disproportionate to my size 10 shoe, IMO.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Now, keep in mind that to do this, you have to find a tailor who will open the side seams of each leg to the hip, trim out some cloth, and then restitch the legs. Some will insist on taking the trousers entirely apart, so that they can recut each piece individually.

That said, a 17" bottom, or maybe 17.5 if the pleats are shallow, will be just right for you.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Copy a pair you think looks right. Mine vary widely, from <16 to >19". For standard suit-type pants, 18" seems to be reasonable, but it should be proportionate to your shoe size. For an 8.5, probably 17" or so, I would think.

bch

Reaction score
Manton, how big a deal ($ wise) is this type of alteration?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know. I haven't ever had to do anything that drastic. Alteration prices vary widely in any case. When I have alterations to do, I take the garments to one of my regular bespoke tailors. I find that they either don't charge me or charge me a pittance. I think they mostly don't even accept alterations work but do it as a favor for regular clients.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics