• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size consistency within suit brands

cmp

Reaction score
I've had some trouble recently buying from Ebay--it seems that the meaning of different seller's measurements can vary enough to matter. I'm now wondering whether, at least for the basic suit size (not sleeve and trouser lengths) it might be better to rely on the manufacturer's stated size. In my experience, for example, Zegna size 52 gives me a nice, trim fit, 54 will give a looser fit, but is OK with a little bit of taking in. Can I assume that unaltered Zegna 52's and 54's will be reliably consistent in size?

What about other manufacturers such as Canali, Brioni, Corneliani. Do they tend to run larger or smaller than each other, or is there no consistency within brands?

fareau

Reaction score
I own two 42R Zegna suits that fit exactly the same, and whenever I try on a 42R Zegna, including the Napoli couture line, they always seem to fit me. Same experience with Canali (all their 42R fit). My opinion is that there is good consistency within both respective brands.

Corneliani is a different matter for me. I have found that the 42R double-breasteds fit me well (one of my best fitting suits, in fact), but all of the single breasted 42R Cornelianis feel tight. It really doesn't make much sense, I know. I really haven't tried on enough Brioni's to offer any perspective.

I don't know if that helps you; hopefully other forum members will have more to add.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My advice is to measure the waist, shoulders, chest and length of a suit jacket that you know fits you well. Refer to A Harris' post on the top of this board called "How to measure suits for eBay." Write those measurements down, and use them to compare to measurements in eBay auctions you are considering. ALWAYS refer to the measurements, as like you said, brands are not always consistent (even to themselves), but the inch will always be consistent.

If the person holding the auction didn't put the measurements up, email them and ask them what they are. It's not worth spending $500+ to order a suit that doesn't fit you well.

fareau

Reaction score
My advice is to measure the waist, shoulders, chest and length of a suit jacket that you know fits you well. Refer to A Harris' post on the top of this board called "How to measure suits for eBay."
Those are very good points, Brian, and certainly worth remembering. However, I think what CMP is saying is that not all the sellers on ebay necessarily measure their items the same way as A Harris describes, in which case knowing your measurements doesn't necessarily ensure an accurate fit.

I think that if you find a jacket/suit on ebay that you are interested in, the best bet is to go to a store that carries the same brand/style and try it on. Brands that specialize in mass production are generally going to maintain a high level of consistency because the cloths are all laser-cut by machines (although I'm not too sure about Brioni on that one).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads