• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size charts.

MrNick

Reaction score
Are most size charts from the major retailers like JCrew/Brooks Brothers/Ralph Lauren off? My chest is 35 and waist is 28. According to JCrew's size chart I should be able to wear an x-small, but they're always too big. Same with other brands, I fit their x-small/small size charts they have but the clothes are always a too big when I buy them.

I'm asking this because I usually wear kids clothes and was thinking of trying J Crew's kids. Their size chart says their 14(xxxlarge) is a little bit too small. But if their size chart is a bigger than it says, maybe it'll fit.
http://www.jcrew.com/sizecharts/main.jsp?sizeChart=2,0

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick
Are most size charts from the major retailers like JCrew/Brooks Brothers/Ralph Lauren off? My chest is 35 and waist is 28. According to JCrew's size chart I should be able to wear an x-small, but they're always too big. Same with other brands, I fit their x-small/small size charts they have but the clothes are always a too big when I buy them. I'm asking this because I usually wear kids clothes and was thinking of trying J Crew's kids. Their size chart says their 14(xxxlarge) is a little bit too small. But if their size chart is a bigger than it says, maybe it'll fit. http://www.jcrew.com/sizecharts/main.jsp?sizeChart=2,0
With a 35" chest and 28" waist, there is no reason you should be buying boys clothes. I have a 35" chest and a 29" waist and I wear x-small in most everything (everything either fits great or sometimes is a bit too small, nothing too big except perhaps some outerwear stuff), and I usually wear size small in t-shirts/undershirts. What's your height and weight? But also let me say that I haven't shopped at those stores, but I can say for certain than most size charts are way off. It's usually the charts that are off, but the clothes usually fit like they should, but sometimes everything is off. It's unbelievable how companies can screw up with these things so much.

MrNick

Reaction score
5'5'' 125 lbs. Between a large and x-large fit perfectly in BB and Ralph Lauren boys.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick
5'5'' 125 lbs. Between a large and x-large fit perfectly in BB and Ralph Lauren boys.
I'm 5'4", 120lbs, so I'm not sure what to say, like I said I haven't worn those brands, so they could be off. I can say for sure though that despite what Gap's size chart says, their x-smalls should fit you perfectly. I know I'll get hate for mentioning Gap, but if you're looking for fit, I know that will work as I have a lot of old Gap/BR clothes in that size. Whatever works works though, as long as it fits it doesn't matter what the size is, but if you can move up to a men's size, they might be even more better proportioned to fit your body. American Apparel should be good too. I think they even have XXS, but that would def. be too small for you. You could always make a trip to http://www.jimmyaus.com/jimmyaus/ if you're ballin' and surely get the best fit of your life.

MrNick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
I'm 5'4", 120lbs, so I'm not sure what to say, like I said I haven't worn those brands, so they could be off. I can say for sure though that despite what Gap's size chart says, their x-smalls should fit you perfectly. I know I'll get hate for mentioning Gap, but if you're looking for fit, I know that will work as I have a lot of old Gap/BR clothes in that size. Whatever works works though, as long as it fits it doesn't matter what the size is, but if you can move up to a men's size, they might be even more better proportioned to fit your body. American Apparel should be good too. I think they even have XXS, but that would def. be too small for you.

You could always make a trip to http://www.jimmyaus.com/jimmyaus/ if you're ballin' and surely get the best fit of your life.

Maybe one day, I'm in school right now so I don't have much money.
Thanks for the help!

greyinla

Reaction score
Most size charts are only meant to provide general guidelines. However, all those companies you mentioned will provide you w/ actual measurements of specific items if you ask. JCrew is particularly good in this regard. You might also want to try H&M.

MrNick

Reaction score
I didn't know they do that. Thank you!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
With a 35" chest and 28" waist, there is no reason you should be buying boys clothes. I have a 35" chest and a 29" waist and I wear x-small in most everything (everything either fits great or sometimes is a bit too small, nothing too big except perhaps some outerwear stuff), and I usually wear size small in t-shirts/undershirts. What's your height and weight?

Do you live in Japan or something? Coz here, and as far as I can gather even more so in America, it is virtually impossible to find anything smaller than size 36 in adult sizes, which will likely be at least a bit too big. Some places do size 34, but it's pretty rare, and for stuff like sweaters Uniqlo is the only place I've found that makes them small enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads