• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size 9E: what will I wear in UK width? Answer and win a PRIZE.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby

Size 9E: what will I wear in UK width? Answer and win a PRIZE.

Just read the damn subject.

8G

WHAT DO I WIN?!?!?! WHEN DO I RECEIVE MY PRIZE?!?!?!?!?!?!

kraftar

Reaction score
depends on the last.... 8G or 8F in some roomier lasts (EG's 202, etc.). Also, you might have to go up to an 8.5 (I think the 8 will be a hair shorter than a US 9).

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
depends on the last.... 8G or 8F in some roomier lasts (EG's 202, etc.). Also, you might have to go up to an 8.5 (I think the 8 will be a hair shorter than a US 9).

8G

WHAT DO I WIN?!?!?! WHEN DO I RECEIVE MY PRIZE?!?!?!?!?!?!

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Well damn what about F, FX, etc? Why do I go all the way from E to G?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American standard width is D, so E is one step above. In English makes it actually varies, some have E as their standard width meaning you would be F, others have F as standard meaning you'd be G.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Just because the letter is +1 in each case doesn't mean that the increase in width will be the same for both. I'm not convinced it's F over G. The guy who said G sounded pretty confident.

Need more info!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Just because the letter is +1 in each case doesn't mean that the increase in width will be the same for both.

The increase is always the same for one step, being the same increase in width as there would be if the shoe was 0.5 size larger, but without the length increase.

As I said, in some English makes (C&J, for example) the standard width is E, in some others (Grenson, for example) the standard width is F. Therefore for one size wider than standard, both F and G are correct depending on who makes the shoe.

And obviously the above assumes the shoes are all on the same last, which from different makes they obviously won't be, so different lasts can throw it off a bit, you might need to size up another width grade if the shoe is on a particularly narrow last.

Claus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The increase is always the same for one step, being the same increase in width as there would be if the shoe was 0.5 size larger, but without the length increase.
Unless I misunderstood you, this is not quite right. The increase of the ball grith for one width is the same for one full size, eg. (US) 8 D to (US) 8 E equals (US) 8 D to (US) 9 D. Some sources say the increase is 1/4 inch, others say 3/16 inch. In general, width designations across different lasts are not comparable.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 9E in most Allen Edmonds. I do have to size up for loafers.

In many English shoes, I wear 8.5 F (UK) but they do need to stretch out a bit before they are comfortable. If you want out of the box wearability or have a high instep, go with the 8.5 G.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads