• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Size 9E: what will I wear in UK width? Answer and win a PRIZE.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby

Size 9E: what will I wear in UK width? Answer and win a PRIZE.

Just read the damn subject.

8G

WHAT DO I WIN?!?!?! WHEN DO I RECEIVE MY PRIZE?!?!?!?!?!?!

kraftar

Reaction score
depends on the last.... 8G or 8F in some roomier lasts (EG's 202, etc.). Also, you might have to go up to an 8.5 (I think the 8 will be a hair shorter than a US 9).

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
depends on the last.... 8G or 8F in some roomier lasts (EG's 202, etc.). Also, you might have to go up to an 8.5 (I think the 8 will be a hair shorter than a US 9).

8G

WHAT DO I WIN?!?!?! WHEN DO I RECEIVE MY PRIZE?!?!?!?!?!?!

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Well damn what about F, FX, etc? Why do I go all the way from E to G?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American standard width is D, so E is one step above. In English makes it actually varies, some have E as their standard width meaning you would be F, others have F as standard meaning you'd be G.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Just because the letter is +1 in each case doesn't mean that the increase in width will be the same for both. I'm not convinced it's F over G. The guy who said G sounded pretty confident.

Need more info!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Just because the letter is +1 in each case doesn't mean that the increase in width will be the same for both.

The increase is always the same for one step, being the same increase in width as there would be if the shoe was 0.5 size larger, but without the length increase.

As I said, in some English makes (C&J, for example) the standard width is E, in some others (Grenson, for example) the standard width is F. Therefore for one size wider than standard, both F and G are correct depending on who makes the shoe.

And obviously the above assumes the shoes are all on the same last, which from different makes they obviously won't be, so different lasts can throw it off a bit, you might need to size up another width grade if the shoe is on a particularly narrow last.

Claus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The increase is always the same for one step, being the same increase in width as there would be if the shoe was 0.5 size larger, but without the length increase.
Unless I misunderstood you, this is not quite right. The increase of the ball grith for one width is the same for one full size, eg. (US) 8 D to (US) 8 E equals (US) 8 D to (US) 9 D. Some sources say the increase is 1/4 inch, others say 3/16 inch. In general, width designations across different lasts are not comparable.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 9E in most Allen Edmonds. I do have to size up for loafers.

In many English shoes, I wear 8.5 F (UK) but they do need to stretch out a bit before they are comfortable. If you want out of the box wearability or have a high instep, go with the 8.5 G.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.