• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size 34 Suits???

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm Asian, too. Sucks, doesn't it?

If you happen to head to Hong Kong, that's the place to get a nice suit made.

Despite what people say, I have had luck getting smaller jackets tailored, especially, as I said, the Uniqlo XS sizes. From my experience, if there's about an inch +1/2 on either side, you can get away with cutting the sleeve shoulders down. The problem you need to watch out for is the neck (mine is thin) and the armpit holes, which might be a bit too roomy.

You might also try and find something thrifting. Here in NY, I've found that to be a waste of time, but it might not be so bad in the west.

Good luck. Honestly, I can't say enough how good the MTM option worked out for me. It's worth the money, and doesn't cost as much as a similar-quality OTR name-brand designer suit.

samstheman646

Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Canali makes 34R suits now, at least in small quantities

Proof

FCFACC3E12B54B17B23985D29A082330.jpg

BA109398A08B484EA3DE0043A9620D4C.jpg

5C503E9981B741529C556A76BAB9F3B6.jpg

jrasero

Reaction score
You could go off the rack at department stores or designer retail shops and hope a more European fit in a 36s fits or a pray that they have 34s lying around (very unlikely), but the best suggestion is going online or doing a custom suit.

When I say going online I don't mean EBAY which is a crap shoot and a waste of a time but I mean places like Suit Supply which offers great looking suits in size 34 starting at $400. If $400 is too much sites like Combatant Gentlemen offer 100% wool suits half canvassed for $160-$200. Combatant's selection of styles and fabrics don't come anywhere close to Suit Supply but for the starting price of $160 for a two piece suit it's hard to go wrong. Sites like Dappered highly recommend JCP/Claiborne slim fit 100% wool suit separates which do come in size 34 and when on sale can ring up south of $100 for a two piece suit. The problem for JCP is that finding a 34 in store is impossible and selection and quantities on size 34 online are wonky at best. Dappered also highly recommends J Crew Ludlow suits which are offered in 34s and start at around $550 for a two piece. J Crew constantly has online promotions but most of the time it excludes suiting, so being patient is key. J Crew Factory Thompson suits are also recommended by Dappered and come in 34s. These suits start at $300 (2 piece) and while they don't match the Ludlow in quality they do come in 100% worsted wool and J Crew Factory commonly has 20%-30% coupons that include suiting so for $200-$250 it is hard to go wrong. The last online venue I recommend is Men's Warehouse which has suits that go as low as 35s sizing. MW's most notable designer suit is Joseph Abboud who has an exclusive line with them. The quality is good with super 120s wool and it being made in America but like most American suits the JA suit was not flattering. A 35s was still too big for me and even with a extra slim cut suit the sides needed to be taken in a good deal. If your in between a 34-36 this might be an option but for $500 or 2 for $900 I would just suggest getting a Ludlow at full price.

Your other option is a custom suit. You could go to a tailor of your choice and price one out or you could Indochino, Modern Tailor, Alton Lane etc etc. These sites not only will get you into a perfect fitting suit that needs no additional tailoring in theory but also will give you the freedom to customize almost every aspect of the suit from material, color, piping, buttons etc. Custom suits usually start at $400 and take 2-3 weeks and require you to send in your measurements. Sounds great right? But some people need a suit asap for that interview that just came up and waiting a couple weeks will not do and for some $400+ is steep.

So in the end it comes down to how you are going to wear your suit and what are your expectations. Are you going to wear your suit once? Or you building a suit collection that you will wear everyday? If you are just buying your first suit or a suit for a one time occasion like an interview or wedding the Combatant Gentlemen suits are hard to pass up at $160, or the J Crew Factory suits for sub $200-$300 range. If you want slightly better quality and plan to wear your suit(s) everyday going for a custom suit which starts at $400 would be ideal.

Hopefully this helps you find a suit in your size and in your budget

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads