• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size 14 wide toe box, narrow heel struggling to find monk straps that fit

Bigwebb

Reaction score
As a result of some foot pain caused by a poorly fitting pair of shoes I recently acquired, I decided to buy my first pair of high quality shoes today. I spent the whole day hitting 6 stores around town looking for a good pair of monk straps that fit nicely. I looked at Johnston and Murphy’s, Allen Edmonds, Gravatis, Cole Hanns, Prada and whatever else I could find in my size. Unfortunately I left empty handed and demoralized. The Selection is already rough for my size, and to top it off, none seemed to fit. I kept running into an issue where the toe box was either pressuring on the small toe, the large toe, or both. Measuring my feet yields size 14D, so it seems that the ball/toe box area of my foot is the only part that is a little on the wider side. Not the heel.

I found a pair of particularly beautiful gravatis that I fell in love with. They felt great sitting down, but when I stood and walked I could feel a bit of pressure on the inside of both feet near the ball and big toe. At 700 dollars, I had to pass.

i tried on a pair of vanilla oxfords from the same maker in the same size, but with a slightly less pointed toe and they fit perfectly. The store did give me the option of having the monks custom made over the same lasts as the oxfords for an additional 180, but I honestly can’t come out of pocket for nearly a grand for a single pair of shoes at this point in my life.

So.... any of you gents have a similar experience to me? What are my options for something with a slightly wider toe box? I felt like I only needed a very small amount of extra space to make them right. I can see online that I have a plethora of options that I just don’t have locally, so I’m leaning on you guys to help me out here.

Bigwebb

Reaction score
anybody else got monster feet that are hard to fit? do I just need to go MTM?

Bigwebb

Reaction score
anyone in a similar size/shape try a carmina rain last?

mcdill

Reaction score
How about Carmina Inca last? Supposed to be very slightly wider than Rain at the ball but narrower at the heel. Carmina also has lasts similar to Inca eg Buger (longer, square chisel toe) and Costitx (similar to Inca length-wise but short square toe instead of almond toe).

Last edited:

Bigwebb

Reaction score
How about Carmina Inca last? Supposed to be very slightly wider than Rain at the ball but narrower at the heel. Carmina also has lasts similar to Inca eg Buger (longer, square chisel toe) and Costitx (similar to Inca length-wise but short square toe instead of almond toe).
I keep hearing mixed things about the Inca. I initially thought that as well but then I read where someone was saying that the toe box would be more cramped than the rain. I need something that’s going to be a good 4.75-4.8” across the ball with a standard heal

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads