• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sixth Grade Reading List Wanted

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you were designing a reading list of great literature for a sixth or seventh grader, what would you include?
I am looking for stuff that would be compelling to read and would serve as an introduction to great writing. Non-fiction is o.k. but the basis for inclusion would be the quality of the writing rather than the subject matter.

Any ideas?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to nerd it up right off the bat and say The Hobbit.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lolita?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
lolita?

Seriously - The Christopher Pullman books: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. I can' think of anything I would recommend higher to a young reader. They are not quite literature, bu they are so imaginative and compelling.

Best way to get him to read them: do what my mom did and tell him "these are inappropriate for you, you can't read them until you're older."

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
If you were designing a reading list of great literature for a sixth or seventh grader, what would you include?
I am looking for stuff that would be compelling to read and would serve as an introduction to great writing. Non-fiction is o.k. but the basis for inclusion would be the quality of the writing rather than the subject matter.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean here. What is quality writing? Clarity? I don't think many of the great works of literature would be readable for the normal 6-7th grader. Perhaps The Catcher in the Rye?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)
Baron in the Trees (Calvino)
Once a Runner (Parker)
The Fountainhead (Rand)
The Consolidated Memoirs of Elias Canetti
The Unabridged Yale Shakespeare
The Histories (Heroditus)

Some might seem a tad ambitious, but I say, Start them Young.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

Seriously - The Christopher Pullman books: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. I can' think of anything I would recommend higher to a young reader. They are not quite literature, bu they are so imaginative and compelling.

Best way to get him to read them: do what my mom did and tell him "these are inappropriate for you, you can't read them until you're older."

That worked great for me, too bad they only used that line on my dad's playboys.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
I'm not sure what you mean here. What is quality writing? Clarity? I don't think many of the great works of literature would be readable for the normal 6-7th grader. Perhaps The Catcher in the Rye?

I remember Catcher in the Rye as my first "book" from school.

Who knows what I mean by quality? Probably a combination of one or more of skillful story telling, compelling characters, a literary "voice", thought-provoking subject matter, spurring the imagination . . .

I am pretty flexible in what I am looking for. I just want it to exemplify quality of some kind or another.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
War and peace? Honestly it's pretty epic and quite engaging Can't help you much with anglo-saxon litterature; I like Poe and Lovecraft and not much else. Maybe Stevenson and Melville? Julio Cortazar is dope in the terse, modern style but he's often about jazz and drugs so not sure.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Catcher in the Rye
Catch-22
Old Man and the Sea
Siddhartha

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^My youngest RubeBabe is a sixth-grader and there is no way she is reading Catch-22 or Sidhartha. I don't think she has the reading skills to tackle them. She is 99th percentile across the board in her testing, but I think most of the suggestions herein are a little to far-reaching.

Old Man and the Sea maybe.
Mockingbird, yes.
Catcher? Yeah she could read it but I don't know that she'd comprehend what she was reading other than that Holden Caulfield is a spoiled, self-centered twit.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charlotte's Web
Alice in the Wonderland / The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

In the Start Them Young category, I like Animal Farm.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a cruel, cruel bastard would make anyone read Rand at any age. Reprehensible ideology (and laughable philosophy) aside, as a writer she was a butcher.

Twain - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer
Verne - Around The World In 80 Days
Crane - The Red Badge of Courage
London - White Fang, etc..
Golding - Lord of the Flies (hated this with all my soul, but it's still considered a classic by most)
pick a 'classic' poetry anthology - American, European, whatever
Austen - Pride and Prejudice (more apt if we're talking about a girl - 12-year old boys are not apt to not react well to the Jane)

I'm sure you can find some 'honors' reading lists out there for early teens. Don't get too ambitious - no 12-year old wants to wade through Tolstoy or Herodotus.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Catcher? Yeah she could read it but I don't know that she'd comprehend what she was reading other than that Holden Caulfield is a spoiled, self-centered twit.
Sounds like she'd comprehend it perfectly!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40