Sitting down with an overcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

The other day I got into a car and heard a 'rip' as a slight tear formed at the peak of the center vent of my overcoat. Not bad, but makes me wonder -- must one unbutton their overcoat before entering a vehicle? Is there a technique for sitting while wearing a buttoned-up long overcoat?

[​IMG] (I like cats.)

2. Cotillion

Cotillion Senior member

I always take off my overcoats before driving precisely because of what you describe or any number of other mistakes that can happen while driving.

3. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

I take mine off as well.

4. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

This is why, despite appearances, your overcoat needs to be a bit larger than snug. Of course you can say the rip was caused by it catching on something, maybe it was, but my overcoat flows with me, not against me. But, sometimes I think I would rather it a bit slimmer.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

A doorman at Claridges slammed the car door on my unbuttoned Oxxford cashmere overcoat a few years ago.

His involuntary yell was like an Apache whoop. He quickly opened the door, and sure enough, there was a gash straight through the coat where it had been caught in the latch.

As he examined the coat, all the blood drained from his face...which is saying a lot since he was English.

I told him not to worry about it.

I hope that this story was helpful.

- B

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

^Was his name Geoffery by any chance?

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Is there a technique for sitting while wearing a buttoned-up long overcoat?

Has it really come to this? [​IMG]

Seriously, if it's cold enough to need an overcoat, it's cold enough that the car won't heat up instantly, so the overcoat stays on in the car. I haven't had a problem with rips, but do instinctively take care when getting in to make sure the coat sits comfortably. Can't rule out accidentally snagging it in future, but touch wood, so far, so good!

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

^Was his name Geoffery by any chance?

[​IMG] I don't remember, but I thought he was going to faint.

- B

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I keep mine on, but I'm very careful getting in and out of the car.

10. Miles Gloriosus

Miles Gloriosus Senior member

Distressing is in vogue and you're complaining that you earned an honest tear on your coat?

11. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Senior member

The other day I got into a car and heard a 'rip' as a slight tear formed at the peak of the center vent of my overcoat. Not bad, but makes me wonder -- must one unbutton their overcoat before entering a vehicle? Is there a technique for sitting while wearing a buttoned-up long overcoat?

[​IMG] (I like cats.)

For a short trip I never remove my overcoat while driving or riding a car, especially if it's cold enough to need the coat when I arrive at my destination.

It could be that your coat is too tight.

12. bobm

bobm Senior member

I find wearing most any coat, even a sport jacket, way too uncomfortable and restictive while driving and an overcoat would for me, be out of the question.

Bob

13. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

A doorman at Claridges slammed the car door on my unbuttoned Oxxford cashmere overcoat a few years ago.

His involuntary yell was like an Apache whoop. He quickly opened the door, and sure enough, there was a gash straight through the coat where it had been caught in the latch.

As he examined the coat, all the blood drained from his face...which is saying a lot since he was English.

I told him not to worry about it.

I hope that this story was helpful.

- B

Is this the same one where you came back to the car, and the doorman was waiting for you with a second overcoat?

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Is this the same one where you came back to the car, and the doorman was waiting for you with a second overcoat?

Vicuna or Qiviut, I should hope.

15. The Gooch

The Gooch Senior member

A doorman at Claridges slammed the car door on my unbuttoned Oxxford cashmere overcoat a few years ago. His involuntary yell was like an Apache whoop. He quickly opened the door, and sure enough, there was a gash straight through the coat where it had been caught in the latch. As he examined the coat, all the blood drained from his face...which is saying a lot since he was English. I told him not to worry about it. I hope that this story was helpful. - B
    Your stories intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.