1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Might have to just install ad-block again...used it years ago when I was at a desk in an open-plan room. Flagged the "styleforum" banner as an ad so that it would get blocked from the page and instead there would just be a non-descript red banner at the top.

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Why is there a breadcrumb trail that doesn't link to anything?
    [​IMG]

Those floating toolbars are irritating enough as-is, but can't you at least make it so it remains a constant size when you scroll down.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I just noticed the changing font size of the floating bar. Another small thing is that the floating bar background is two colors when at the top, and when you are scrolled down, it is all one color. When it is bigger, the second grey color strip is interrupted by the styleforum object's background color.

I agree here, at least hide it unless my cursor is over the top part of the screen.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1

+1

Also, aggregating the total notifications is a loss of functionality. Previously, I could see at a glance whether and how many PM notifications I had versus subscription notifications.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

So, where do we turn off the floating toolbar?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  6. otc

otc Senior member

+1

Honestly, I never looked at the subscription #. There are plenty of subscribed threads that I only check infrequently, so that number was never zero and if it changes from 24 to 25, I don't really notice.

But if the PM number says 3...that means I have 3 PMs.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Why is the top bar so fricking huge? The avatar doesn't fit the bar and is extremely pixelated, fwiw. Why does "Culture" have no drop-down menu? Are you planning to be able to customize the bar? That'd actually be pretty good.

Also my biggest beef with it is that when I jump to a new post (or any post that isn't the top of its thread page), the bar loads after most of the page has already loaded. So I jump to the newest post, begin to read, and then the massive bar pops up, covering up the whole post. Even if it didn't cover it up, a suddenly appearing bar certainly distracts the eye.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My only issue, which has been an issue for a long time now and only has gotten worse with the new layout, is how much the screen jumps around when loading all of the images and such. It leads me to click on ads and links that I don't mean to. If there is a way for all of the stuff to load without the page jumping to them it would be great.

2 people like this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That sounds like a planned design implementation and now a flaw from a monetizing POV.

Does anyone else find the new floating menu constantly orients so it covers/partially covers the first new post in a thread?

1 person likes this.
  10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

A few people brought this up in another "feedback" thread.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

ftfy

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, and it's quite frustrating.

13. sugarbutch

I might say "kind of annoying" rather than "quite frustrating"

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

-1. Whole screen loads, you start reading, then whole screen fucking shifts, and you have to re-scroll to read the post you wanted to read with your original click. Fucking stupid.

3 people like this.
  15. tropics

tropics Senior member

chill out guys. it will be relayed to the tech team once the dust has settled.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

huh?

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. tropics

tropics Senior member

:rotflmao:

just noticed the bar talk is all going down in the "random fashion thoughts" thread.

18. sugarbutch

FWIW, I've experienced that for ages prior to this recent change. In any picture-heavy thread, if you start reading/scrolling before the page finishes loading it shifts. That hasn't changed.

19. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I usually head there first, since if you scroll down a bit, it shows a list of threads you've posted in recent ones up top. And it shows how many posts have been made by others since your last post. To me that's the best way to keep up w/ various conversations.

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I accidentally clicked on the wrong link about 400 times today with all of the page shifting. That's about 200 times more than usual.

1 person likes this.