1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Kira

Kira Senior member

You fool, I already stated my dislike of alcohol.

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

1st 2 pages of MC are spam, have flagged the main offender

3. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

There was a huge rash just now. I think I spaminated 50 usernames, several before they'd had a chance to post. But a couple had racked up over 150 posts each.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

After the epidemic in MC, General Chat is now over-run with about 70 live-streaming spam threads.

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I dont see a single one right now. I spamminated a few earlier this evening, but I am not seeing any now.

6. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Senior member

I've reset the epox.gen translator with the new updates from OMX.

If you have any encounters with unbalanced thread prompts, let me know and I'll check it out.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Is anyone else having persistent issues with being redirected to an error screen?

I can usually get to the front page of the forum but when I click on subfora or particular threads, I often get an error page. It's been going on for an hour or more.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Luddite's terms?

9. in stitches

Probably was a site update. I was getting that error, but its back to normal for me.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This.

Re. the SPAM. I know it is impossible to convince anyone who doesn't wish to be convinced, but we are about as on top of it as a forum can be. If there were actually better, more viable, technical fxes, I would certainly be the first to push for those. I have my phone and PC on the new user page at all waking times, and spamminate constantly, so it's not like I am not keenly aware of the number and frequency of spammers. Good spam filter software is just not where we'd like it to be. For a while, we were on Google's product, which they had acquired for $600MM, but that was not wholly effective, and Google discountinued that service and subsumed that entire company into our of their other divisons (which should tell you something.) We have tabled many, many mitigation strategies, and tested many of them as well. Our regional filters are actually on for several key areas, but as I've said before, humans nearly always beat machines in a ground war, and regional or even IP filters are not that hard to get around.

Other large forums also get spam, but it is usually in a place that is not immediately viewable, like GC in Styleforum, and it is usually immediately deleted, so, just like on Styleforum, most users see minimal spam. Exceptions, like the episode this weekend, whne one spammer decided to kick it old school wiht 50+ accounts all from the same IP (which has since been banned), and blanketing the entire forum with spam, do occur occasionally. I do apologize to the people who frequent GC, and to a lesser extent, fitness, and the entertainment, sections, since these are the most frequently targeted sections.. I am looking at a few potential new moderators who would be brought on for the sole purpsose of helping spamminate in the Asian time zones.

1 person likes this.
  11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Is the website loading slowly for anybody else? I'm using Chrome on Yosemite and in the last couple days pages load slowly and I can't immediately scroll.

12. in stitches

I just changed over to Yosemite and I use chrome, and Im slow as molasses, but not just SF, and not just internet. Everything. I think my old MacBook is too weak for the upgrade. Idk, that what people are telling me anyways, and I probably have way to much garbage on my computer that needs to be gotten rid of or clouded.

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

For me, this is only a problem on SF.

14. in stitches

Well, that sucks.

I have no idea why that is. Sorry. : (

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

What's weird is that it happens at work and at home. Maybe it's a plugin...

16. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'm just curious...are mods/DHs/HMs able to read the "comments" section when we flag stuff? I will sometimes note things that I feel are suspicious and explain why, but wasn't sure whether people could/would actually read my reasoning.

@in stitches, @Claghorn, @et. al.

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yes. We can see the comments. Well, I don't know if non-mods, like DH, can, but mods definitely see them. They're not always helpful, but they frequently are, especially if I have to make a judgment call in a forum I don't know particularly well.

2 people like this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This new layout, Hanger Project thing is incredibly fucking annoying. This is some new level bullshit.

4 people like this.
  19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Shit like this makes me want to boycott them. Not buy their shit.

20. otc

otc Senior member

New ad layout is fucking terrible. the CSS must not load until after the rest of the site, because everything on the page moves around again at the end of the loading process. This usually makes me miss my click because I was all ready to click on something when all of the sudden, the hanger project ad loads and pushes everything around.

Also, in addition to being ugly and poorly thought out, the designer who wrote the code for the ad did a fucking terrible job. This is what my screen looks like...I can't even tell what is on sale. Bet Kirby is real happy to be paying for such useful advertising.
    [​IMG]

That's a maximized window on a second monitor. It is legible on a maximized 1920x1080 screen, but this is fucking terrible design work and makes SF look like a piece of shit. I was browsing earlier from just a laptop screen and could see even less of the ad (but it still kicked everything around when it loaded and made browsing miserable).

1 person likes this.