1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I check the user. Recent join date, no posts, non US user. Prolly spam but need proof.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yes, I also did the standard stuff we do when there's a suspected spammer. It's almost like I've done this before!

Thanks for forwarding, pB. Looks like it has been taken care of.

3. in stitches

:(

I was not doubting your superior abilities, just sharing what I came up with when I had a look see.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

can we make some coding rules so you have to have X (10?) posts before sending PM's? or certain amount of time after joining etc?

I hope that wouldn't create unintended consequences like making users post 10 junk ones or get discouraged by having to wait, etc

5. in stitches

I imagine that much like requiring that people hit a number of posts before stating a thread, is not so simple within the format of the huddler platform, but Ill let Fok field that.

6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

What about people who sign up only because they come across a B&S listing?

7. Master-Classter

true, but honestly at the same time aren't those sort of buyers more risky (scammers) anyway? Unless you're doing personal payment, I'd much rather have fewer buyers but good quality ones. I've sold to new posters but always been a little wary and usually ask for personal payment or have to request other forms of verification

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

99.8% of anybody who has ever bought anything from me has been somebody with no avatar and between 0-3 posts. They are just bargain hunters.

1 person likes this.
  9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

See! You guys are trying to do away with 99.8% of pB's customers.

3 people like this.
  10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Then again I think I have sold about 4 or 5 things ever, so it's not a big sample. Also, said demographic contains the biggest pains in the asses. You will take 4,000 pictures of something with 20,000 measurements and an essay describing the damn thing and they will find something to ask you that you neglected. Also, they don't care about %discount off of something being new, it is sheer dollar amount. Oh, yeah, and if it isn't in like new condition shame on you for trying to scam them with a $3,000 suit for $200!!!

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Bloody foreigners..

1 person likes this.
  12. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

I'm not sure what the right thread is for this question:

If you sell an item through the Marketplace, and the buyer says it won't fit because he says a measurement was wrong, how do you handle it? Refund immediately? Offer to refund once they've sent it back? Offer to pay for the return shipment?

It's a shirt that was sold for $25 that cost $6.60 to ship in the first place.

13. in stitches

I do not know the official rules, but last I checked @Brianpore was the B&S mod. I think he could set things straight.

1 person likes this.
  14. MrG

MrG Senior member

I think the critical statement in this post is "you handle it." It has long been the policy at SF that management doesn't involve itself in disputes between buyers and sellers.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

OK, does anyone know if there is a thread where people give advice on this type of question? I don't have much selling experience, and no experience with a complaint.

16. in stitches

I do not have much B&M experience, but I would recommend doing a search for a thread about that and sending a PM to Brianpore. Good luck.

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

This thread, which covers a B&S issue at length, might be informative:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/64932/fs-attolini-pink-cashmere-unlined-tie

Kidding aside, I don't believe there's an ongoing B&S advice thread, but I know there have been threads started over B&S issues. Those might be instructive if you can track one down.

2 people like this.
  18. Master-Classter

personal opinion, if it's something tailoring can fix then offer a partial refund to compensate for that, if it's your fault with the measuring and doesn't work for the customer then get him to send it back and refund the price fully (so he's paid one side shipping and you've paid the other) and he'll be out a little time and just one shipping charge and it's sort of lose lose and learning experience. No easy solution and also really just depends on how agreeable he is to work with to resolve the issue.

1 person likes this.
  19. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems, and Questions

I would try here -- even though eBay's in the title, the issues are the same. Brianpore posts there as well.

1 person likes this.
  20. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Ask him to return (for now he pays) and say you'll refund everything, including return shipping, if it is, in fact, your mistake. When you get the item back, verify if you screwed up. If you did, give him all his money back, because you screwed up. If he's lying, refund the $25, and he's out the shipping, and you got your shirt back.

2 people like this.