1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

No fucking kidding. It'll be at least another decade before there is any semblance of parity in college football. SEC is nuts good.

2. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

This guy is shitting up this thread with what looks like fairly transparent advertising.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

See, I just completely misread what you were saying here. I thought you were predicting a Longhorn defeat, but you were actually foretelling a wonderful present of victory from them Okies!

3 people like this.
  4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I've posted this before but... the ACC has just as many teams in the top 10 of the rankings as does the SEC, if you include L'ville its more than the SEC. 40% of the top five comes from the ACC.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just don't see the ACC as having the same potential for a long stretch of dominance like the SEC has. No question that the BIg 12 probably isn't going to be relevant for a while, though I think it'll bounce back if only because it's so deeply rooted in Texas--the best state for high school football. Though now that the SEC has crossed that border.........

(I'd be happier with Clemson winning it all rather than the Tide or Oregon)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  6. edinatlanta

If the moderators actually care about having a decent level of discourse then Lighthouse can go. I pointed this out when he started but he exists solely to troll CE and posts utter crap like this:

The sluts will complain for a few days, but once the black eyes can be covered with clown paint, they will crawl back to their abuser for more, for a picture of him shirtless on a beach, to beg to call him a god floating above, to praise the smartest human being ever. They lick their wounds and curfoot back to their master for another beating, all for a dismissive, contemptuous pat on the head.

The sciences have yet to imagine a device capable of measuring my contempt for the American mainstream press corps.

That is literally the only type of stuff he posts and usually its far more vile, far less insightful and substantially more useless. Here's your bar analogy: there's one dude who only fucks up decent conversations and prevents others from actually being smart. In other words: he's the angry drunk no one wants around.

7. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Complaining about the CE--do you also complain about the quality of the dogshit on your lawn?

3 people like this.
  9. edinatlanta

My point is that he's just a less prolific, less vile but more useless Javyn.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

ginch>gooch

Edina, you are wrong and he is probably charitable to your brethren.

2 people like this.
  11. Manton

the point about sluts returning to abusers is not false. If it were false, there wouldn't be such a massive PR effort to convince women to leave abusive men.

The point about the media, in addition to be true, is hardly vile.

The CE is itself vile. I wasted thousands of brain cells that I could not afford to spare on it. Learn from my bad example. Consider it an abusive spouse and leave it.

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I think that was a metaphor for the press corps complaining about being mistreated by the White House.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Dude:
    1. Lighthouse posts some shit I think is pretty dumb. (Welcome to the club, Lighthouse!)
    2. Your premise is demonstrably and wildly inaccurate, which seriously undermines the credibility of your post as a whole. According to a quick check, his last post was an appreciative comment in the dumb gifs thread. Clearly it's neither true that he exists solely to troll CE nor that he only posts things like the example you gave. And given that you write for a living, please fucking learn that that "literally" means neither "figuratively" nor "in my opinion".
    3. Are there posts in CE that are not useless?

3 people like this.
  14. Manton

Then it's even more true.

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

And the thing is, despite what some people probably hope, I think the expanded playoff system is going to increase that stratification. If you look at the divisions that already have playoffs, the championships tend to be dominated by a few teams. Only two teams have won a Division III championship in the last 7 years, and only once in those 7 years did another team even PLAY in a championship game.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

For sure. Manton completely changed my view on US foreign policy concerning military bases around the world and Matt got me to buy into minimum guaranteed income. However I hold no illusions that anything I have ever posted there was either a) not useless or b) convinced anyone of anything.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  17. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The CE is actually a lot less of a slapfight than it used to be. In fairness, that's partially because most of the lefty commenters have been chased off.

1 person likes this.
  18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If anybody cared what you think that might disprove my point.
    :)

1 person likes this.
  19. edinatlanta

Its also because all the people who posted insightful/stuff worth reading have left. Well not all of them but... as with most everything on SF... a few years ago, you would be able to have any thread, have Manton, itsstillmatttheasshole or any other number of interesting posters (even Piob) chime in and you would have page-long arguments that were erudite, well-reasoned and fun to read. (There was also a fair amount of bullshit thrown in but you knew which posters to look for). Now, the biggest discussion drivers are gone.

FWIW: I've never claimed to be a good writer. Anyway, I just went to his profile and did three pages of his history. He has posted in Transmod, four DTs and the rest are CEsspool threaks. I pointed out when he started, that he was making a ton of innocuous, one-word posts and seemed to be building up to join the CEsspool. Sure enough, post 101 was a complete troll post in CEsspool and its been the same ever since.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm sure you're fine. Misuse of "literally" is probably one of my top three linguistic pet peeves.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013