1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    there seems to be about 5% of the posters who do most of the trolling and butt-hurt complaining and it is a highly correlated group. Of course, there is a reason why most of some people's social interaction happens on the internet.

5 people like this.
  2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

You can spot these guys from a mile away, though. It is evident in everything they post, not only in their whining.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  3. dcg

dcg Senior member

Yes

I didn't know they had a fashion section. I've never spent any time there; their bulletin board format seems extremely annoying. This site is primarily dedicated to clothing, with various clothing-specific sub-forums, and some interesting side forums. That site is mostly dedicated to bullshit, with a single "fashion" subforum.

This also.

Sending a PM to a mod is better than posting in public. Just ignoring it is even better than sending a PM to a mod. I agree that bringing someone's family into an argument is over the line, but what exactly is the net negative impact? The poor wife and children will....well, nothing actually, because they'll never even know it happened. Furthermore, the person who made the comment has never met your family, knows little to nothing about them, and is only making the comment to get a reaction out of you. The options at this point are: 1. Get in a big internet argument, which will lead to most people thinking both of you are acting like children, or 2. Not do anything, because the vast majority of people who see the comment the other guy made about your family will think he's an asshole.

And for those who still disagree, to look at it from a completely different perspective - let's say someone made a comment about your wife on the internet, and you responded. If you were to go home to your wife and say "Hi honey, some asshole on the internet who I don't know and will never meet talked shit about you today, but I really told him!" - what do you think your wife's reaction would be?

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

a good wife would drag you straight to the bedroom !

1 person likes this.
  5. dcg

dcg Senior member

ESPECIALLY IF SHE'S AS HOT AS YOUR WIFE!!!!!!

2 people like this.
  6. in stitches

lolz

but to be srs, there is a reason to involve a mod at times imo. this is still a public place, and weather or not the musings of interent strangers actually impact ones life outside of ones feelings, its still wrong to treat people improperly and be an asshole. and if someone decides that the general rules of public behavior do not apply to them, then maybe they should be asked to leave the public places.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My wife would ask if I'd been trolling one of her friends' blogs, again.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

And by "her friends' blogs", I meant, ThePurseForum.

2 people like this.
  9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

For all the Vaclav's in the crowd, and all the morons who use them incorrectly, this, my friends, is how you use commas.

5 people like this.
  10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My wife just registered for Purse Forum

:plain:

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I like this line of thinking.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

au contraire... cat is food in the southeastern part of china, and I've seen cat meat on a plate when I was a kid. also, cat is a delicacy on the planet melmac.

ugh... good luck with that... style/fashion forums are full of psychopaths, racists, wannabes, snobs and people who just post inane dumb shit. and then insult each other's wife/mom/family

1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

very lawyerly, amirite?

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

What is the difference in powers in HM and DH? I know DH get theirs for sticking around for a while and generally being an asset to the community, and HM get theirs for sticking around too much and flagging spam.

15. in stitches

As i understand it.

1. DHs can only affect posts in the subforum they are DHed in. HMs can affect posts throughout the forum.

2. DHs can actually edit or modify any post in their subforuns the same way a user can modify and edit their own posts. HMs can only flag posts and hide them for moderator review, but not actually modify the content of a post.

3. DHs have more authority to modify content as they see fit, anything from highly off topic derailment to offensive posting. HMs are really only supposed to use their tools to hide spam or OTT abusive offensive posting.

That is how it was explained to me.

1 person likes this.
  16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

So what is the difference between a DH and a subforum moderator?

17. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

hey, I want to know, too.

18. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

okay, now that anyone who might have gotten a chuckle out of ^ has regained their composure, the short answer is that we get emails when a post is flagged in our subforum, we can delete or edit any user's posts in any thread in the sub-forum, and we can delete, rename, move, or close a thread.

iirc, DH members have mod powers only in threads they start (but I could be wrong on that)

Also, it's kind of our job to read our respective sub-forums and be proactive about anything that looks wrong or troublesome. Spam, trolling, NSFW images, etc. Keep the streets clean, that sort of deal.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Well, there goes a good theory shot to hell!

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I don't know, Pio, no one in this world eats cat because it tastes like pussy! Amirite, rach??