Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

BTW, this was lost somewhere, but did anyone notice that we actually changed the color scheme to exactly match that of the old forum?

Cheers,

Fok.

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

That was lost on me!

Btw, I agree w/ Manton about the search thing (extra clicks, preference for recent posts/threads as default). That's my only real complaint now. But if that's slow due to the index being compiled as someone said, then I'm happy to be patient.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Alright daddy, I went into the mod queue and there were only 2 spam posts in there. Looks like somebody's being doing my homework for me and turning it in.

4. LA Guy

This is an issue that we are addressing, and will continue to address. If you want a fast experience, we are recommending Chrome. J and I sat down for a few hours testing different browsers, security settings, etc... Also, in our developer's pffice, most people, including engineers, use Chrome, so even when they test the site on other browsers, they will notice glitches and lag on Chrome first. Also, Adblocking, especially on Firefox, seems to make the system really slow down. There are a few technical reasons for this, and we are looking into there. You could use Adblock and no-script simultaneously, but no-script can screw up any number of things, and I don't recommend it for anyone but hardcore nerds.

Could you elaborate on this? What differences, in your personal usage, have made this the case?

I agree with you. The new search is more "google like", which a lot of people liked and asked for. I preferred the old VB search. But there are obviously ways around this, (like changing the search away from the detault",) but they are not automatic.

lol. I do this all of the time, but usually say that I have 3 points, and end up with 2.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

5. LA Guy

I think that you need to look at the 600 or so that were in the mod queue. While Defensio is good at picking up spam, it has not yet figured out that stupid posts, at least on Styleforum, are not spam posts, nor are reposted pictures with "+1" spam. We have to teach it.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

:fu: Just saw that, except it was only 64 in the mod queue. And I think a solid 95% of them were just people making stupid replies. Granted, spamlike for sure, but not truly spam.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

ROFL!!! I just found two of my own posts in the queue.

8. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

That would be me. I'm still getting to know that feature too. Found out how to access it a few days ago. Found out I could ban someone from that page today. Am still trying to discover if there's a direct way to delete all posts by a prolific spammer.
    That's old age creeping up on you. You know the Jesuits are trained to give their homilies according to this formula:
    I have three points to cover.
    Here are my three points.
    These are the three points I just made.

They don't always stick to this of course, but that's the exercise they're given.

9. LA Guy

Mark has been more diligent than have you, Kyle. I guess that we'll be sending him the nice china and that full set of Shun knives. Bummer for you.

10. LA Guy

A lot of my family is Jesuit trained, and how I got into that habit I usually get through 2/3rds of the second part, and then, abruptly say, say "Well, I did cover 2 points. Point three is for episode 2."

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Whip me Daddy, that's how we learnz!

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I kinda don't get how the stats are calculated:

Is the "most posts in the last day" calculate on a rolling basis - as in it keeps a running tally of the most posts in the last 24 hours? Or does it reset at a certain time?

And the "most-liked" post. I noticed a post of mine from late this week had four thumbs up (a sappy post in General Chat), but it's nowhere to be found on the list of "most-liked posts", but posts that got two thumbs up are.

And is there any way to dig deeper into those stats? Like "most posts in Current Events" or something? Or, most liked post in DTs?

Just curious.

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Question:
    Why is the gift-card-trading thread stickied in B,C & E ?

14. LA Guy

It's because you are using the rich text editor, not the default BB editor. Posts written in the rich text editor are nearly impossible to back edit, because the customizability in the posts makes a bulk treatment nearly impossible. So, there is a lesson. You always sacrifice something to get something else.